cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving internal cabling

stu84
Joining in

Hi currently doing lot of renovations in my house and the living room is being gutted. I’d like to hide the virgin media cable especially as have made new stud wall where the tv etc will be positioned. There are currently no ceilings or plasterboard etc so can drill holes etc and show exactly where would like everything to go. Obviously I’ll need to arrange virgin media to do this but I’ll do everything ready for so all they need to do is install the cabling. I’m assuming that all installations are the same ie the coax cable comes into the property into a splitter connected to a plug and then the coax then goes to another splitter into the tv box and modem? Just want to prepare everything ready for them and make sure nothing has changed in the last couple of years with how the equipment is installed.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Should be no problem, but you do not have to have your hub in the same place as the TV box. It’s best to have the hub centrally in your home, you can then run Ethernet cable to where the TV box is located, better than WiFi. When the TV and hub are in different locations the splitter is placed in the external omnibox and cables run to the two locations. Are thought, perhaps it would be a good idea to run Ethernet from the hubs location to upstairs in case you use a VM pod which could be directly wired. Also good if you if you have another manufacturer access point or a mesh system. I have run two Ethernet cables to every room in the house and the loft, all terminating under the stairs where my hub and router are located.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Interesting as I was going to put cat6 cable next to where the virgin cable enters the property more just in case if we ever when back to an open reach connection as this is where they’re cable comes in also. However on my virgin connection I have a  coax going to the hub and the tv box not Ethernet cable. Is your setup different?

Sorry just checked again and do have a Ethernet cable from the hub to the tv. I’m guessing the coax provides the freeview signal to the tv box?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM TV boxes can connect to the Hub by wifi and ethernet. I think Tudor is just saying that the ethernet conneiton is "always" the best way to do it for a rock solid connection - as it is for any othe equipment you are using - computers/consoles etc.

EDIT: just seen your edit

Coax provides all the "cable" TV connectivity - network connectivity (wifi/ethernet) is needed for any online content -such as - TV Guides, Nettfix, Amazon Prime,  PPV, etc

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ok thanks that makes sense so the best solution is put the hub where the cable enters the house, run some cat6 cable from this location to new stud wall with the tv along with a virgin co-ax cable for the virgin tv box? Does that sound like the best and nearest solution? Anything else to consider?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes. You should consider running 2 cables (reduncy if one ever fails) and also to other locations where you may have computers/consoles/smart TV's etc

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi stu84, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I can see that jbrennand has has provided you with the correct information. 

If you need an engineer, this can be done with a £25 call out charge. 

Chris