cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a router - is it running a cable or reinstalling the access point?

Melchett01
On our wavelength

Hello,

Hope some knowledgeable type can help  I want to move my router from the living room to the hall - just done a refurb, the hall is a more central location, usual reasons.  My question is does moving the router involve installing a new access point in the hall, or would they simply run an extension cable from from access point in the living room, through the internal wall and into the hall? 

More than happy to pay the £25 fee, but I really don't want new holes drilling in internal walls and cables running through the house, I'd much rather have the access point moved and the cable run straight into that from outside.  Grateful for any advice on how they actually do it before I go ahead.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes... £25 will get you a Tech visit to relocate the Hub access point to where you want it. They would probably leave the old one and re-cable a second one from the outside omnibox - access permitting of course

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Melchett01,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and for your query. 

As advised by @jbrennand, this would be a £25 charge appointment to have your Hub Moved to another place. This charge would be added to your next bill.

Would you like to have a technician appointment booked in so we can help move your Hub to a better suited location?

Let us know so we can help. 🙂

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks @jbrennand, aprpeciate the reply.  I'm wary as a long time ago I had a second Virgin box installed in the bedroom when the access point was in a different room and they made a right pigs ear of installing the cabling up and round doors, looked a real mess so keen to avoid a repeat.

Hi @ Paulina_Z,

If what @jbrennand suggests is the case then I'd be happy to go ahead.  But I'm not interested in running cabling through the house and internal walls, which would be the caveat, so I'd like to know that before I commit.

Hi @Melchett01

I will send you a private message now so we can discuss further and book the visit if you wish to proceed.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide