Menu
Highlighted
petewiki
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving Superhub

Good morning!

I'm considering moving my superhub up to my office from downstairs. In a new build and beside my virgin media plate is a TV arial coaxial that runs up to the attic space. The builders don't attach an actual antennae to the end of it though, so I was thinking to save myself a lot of drilling through floors and running cables up walls, could I hook the splitter cable that runs into the superhub into the TV arial input downstairs, couple the end of the TV arial coaxial and drop a short length of coaxial into the office and move the superhub to the end of that?

Most probably adding 7-8m of cable length from he TV arial socket downstairs to the cable end in the office.

Cheers!

Pete

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving Superhub

short answer is no - explanation is a bit longer - VM cable is better quality that the arial coax plus the arial coax terminations are unlikely to be f type screw connectors  

you could ask VM to do it - that would be £99 although they would want to run the cable externally and they may not go as high as the attic space

your best option is to leave the hub where it is and run a cat5e or cat6 cable up to the attic space and use the £99 to but a router to go up there or even just a switch if all you need is wired connections

powerline adapters are the easy option - you just need to be sure they work ok for you

Tony
0 Kudos
petewiki
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Aye, it's push in downstairs (easily changed) and not terminated at the end. I just wasn't sure if the cable was decent enough to carry the signal through it...?

I've got a drum of Excel cat 5e and 6, just wanted to save some effort since there was coaxial half the way to the office already.

Powerline adaptors? Brrrrrrr 🙂

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@petewiki wrote:

Aye, it's push in downstairs (easily changed) and not terminated at the end. I just wasn't sure if the cable was decent enough to carry the signal through it...?

I've got a drum of Excel cat 5e and 6, just wanted to save some effort since there was coaxial half the way to the office already.

Powerline adaptors? Brrrrrrr 🙂

thats my thought on powerlines but they have their uses

is the aerial cable plastered in or does it run through conduit - worth a tug at one end if you are never going to use it and see if it will come out - if so attach the cat5e to it and pull it through - if that does not work the easy route is usually external

Tony
0 Kudos
petewiki
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've just had a quick jump up into the loft and its shielded RG6. The cable looks as if its been pulled through plaster to the attic space so I'm pretty sure it'll be tacked or taped to the framework... 

0 Kudos