cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More than 1 Router

lightningrt
Joining in

Hi, I've searched and can't find a specific instance of this question being asked, so apologies if it's a common question: I need access to broadband in a garden room (large shed). I will be running an ethernet cable from the router at the front of the house through to the garden room. Can I have another router in the garden room to enable wifi to be available there? I rang Virgin to ask this and was told "No", yet someone I know said they did this, and it seems to be an option technically. Is there something about Virgin that means I cannot do it? TIA 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A proper WAP will not have a WAN port per se, but a port to connect to your Hub, and some will have spare ethernet ports as well.   Just make sure they are gigabit ports, as some cheaper models will only be 10/100

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, you can if the router in the garden room is set to "Access Point" mode only.

However it would be more cost effective to buy a gigabit wifi Access Point  with ethernet ports.  There is no point spending money on a Router only to disable most of it's function by setting it to Access Point mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Wow, quick answer. Do I just buy one from Amazon (for example) then connect the ethernet cable to the wan socket in the new router?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A proper WAP will not have a WAN port per se, but a port to connect to your Hub, and some will have spare ethernet ports as well.   Just make sure they are gigabit ports, as some cheaper models will only be 10/100

Are you allowed to recommend a specific one. It would be useful to be able to look at the spec.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sure, one like this at the lower price point would suit, or depending on budget you can spend more.

Netgear Wireless Access Point (WAC104) | Dual Band WiFi AC1200 | Desktop Easy Set Up : Amazon.co.uk:...

A more expensive wifi 6 one Netgear Wireless Access Point (WAC104) | Dual Band WiFi AC1200 | Desktop Easy Set Up : Amazon.co.uk:...

Thanks, very helpful. Cheers, Rob