cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor actual bandwidth usage

Clarkstuff01
Joining in

Hi all,

Can virgin media tell me my actual Internet consumption over a month or two? Ie peak upload / download , typical baseline usage, etc.

I do not want to know about apps on devices or putting proxies in front of the router.  I would like to know if the service provider collects this info upstream and can provide a report  / data.

Also, if they can who do I ask for the info?

Much appreciated 

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think so. 

However if you get a good router eg Asus and put your hub in modem mode you can monitor traffic and data use overall, by device, etc. 

jem101
Superstar

@Clarkstuff01 possibly somewhere in the bowels of VM central this information is available, however they don’t make it available to end users.I suspect the justification is that as there are no caps or data limits on a VM broadband connection, then why would you want to know? And for the very few who might want to know this stuff, it isn't worth them implementing such a reporting mechanism.

And, yes, I know you said, you didn't want to hear about additional hardware or proxies etc. Unfortunately, if you want this information then that’s exactly what you need to do.