cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem

perfectpete2
Joining in

I use an ethernet cable to connect a computer because the wifi isn't very reliable. The light at the back of the modem flashes green. I also have an alarm system connected to the modem via ethernet cable. The light on this one flashes orange. Is this a problem?

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@perfectpete2 wrote:

I use an ethernet cable to connect a computer because the wifi isn't very reliable. The light at the back of the modem flashes green. I also have an alarm system connected to the modem via ethernet cable. The light on this one flashes orange. Is this a problem?

Nope, standard colours for ethernet. Green = Gigabit connection,  Orange = 100mb connection.  There is most likely only a 10/100 NIC in the alarm system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Brilliant, thank you for your quick reply

Keep safe

Whilst not disputing @Adduxi 's comment since some manufacturers do use that convention, I would note that that there's no universal standard for ethernet LED colours.  My PC shows an orange LED adjacent to the ethernet socket, but is happily buzzing away with a reliable gigabit connection that maxes out my 200 Mbps line. 

Coincidentally, I recently replaced the ethernet cable from hub to my mesh system because the old one kept dropping back to 100 Mbps, but unfortunately I didn't bother to check the "before" LED colour.