cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem randomly rebooting

clivenick58
On our wavelength

I have had issues with the hub 3 rebooting for about 6 weeks, so a tech guy came out 06/07/2021 and said the power setting were all over the place. Within 15 minutes of him going, it rebooted itself again. Got straight back on the phone 150 and another guy came next day. Changed the leads and Hub 3 and it rebooted whilst he was here. Nightmare now, and a joke. I have had it set in router only mode and modem mode and now WiFi turned off and using a Mesh, and it’s still rebooting. Fed up of it now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not sure about the Killer WiFi, how can I find this. Is it in the BIOS?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Could be one of a number of things, but can I ask if you have bought a new computer in that sort of timescale?

Funny you should ask that question, but I have had a new Dell Laptop but 15 months ago, and it’s only when I have that connected to the WiFi and Ethernet cable. I have proved it when the engineer was here. Dell keep saying do all these tests and I am sick of telling them It’s not the settings etc. I am sure it’s having the new Intel WiFi and Bluetooth drivers, but they will not send me the old drivers just to see. My MSI laptop works perfectly well. Both are gaming laptops but the lowest end as I need powerful machines for my music recordings.

Does the Dell have a "Killer" wifi adaptor?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, there are threads here about Dell and the "Killer" NIC's, which I believe are now Intel owned.  It may be you will need to get a USB wifi and/or ethernet adaptor and disable the Dell one's in the BIOS.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you so much for your replies, but why is it Dell have not picked up on this. All they say it’s settings. It is under warranty still and still they keep saying follow the videos on YouTube which I am sick to death of saying it’s not the settings. It is so weird that it’s only started recently in the last 6 weeks or so on the last update. What are the USB WiFi connections and are they expensive? How come the Virgin engineer didn’t know this. I am not in anyway saying your wrong and I am great full for your help and anyone else’s. I just need to be sure so I can buy one and then Bill Dell ha ha ha, it’s under extended warranty so I believe they should pay.

Not sure about the Killer WiFi, how can I find this. Is it in the BIOS?

Andrew-G

Not sure if it does have the Killer WIFI. all I can find is it is called Alienware but that is for the Video graphics. The WiFi is Intel and thats all i can find. Nothing about Killer Wifi

Adduxi

I have found this information about the WiFi card.

it is a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 is a 1x1 802.11ac module with integrated Bluetooth 5

OK, that rules out an Intel Killer wifi issue.  Potentially something in a Dell driver update?  

If the hub is behaving itself with other devices, then that points the finger at Dell.  VM wouldn't test every available device, because everything is supposed to use industry standards to avoid this sort of problem.   The issue with Dell is that everything is designed around their process and their customised components - when it all works it is great and often excellent value, when it doesn't (eg buggy drivers) then the experience is poor, because if it isn't an officially recognised problem Dell staff will sometimes deny one exists.  I've personally had driver problems for Dell stuff in the past for both sound cards and network adaptors, and then you have to deal with the situation where there's Windows default drivers, there's Dell drivers, and there's OEM (eg Qualcomm or Intel) drivers for what should be the same hardware.  Even then, it's sometimes not even as easy as just installing a new driver, you often have to completely eradicate all traces of the current Dell drivers, then do a new install of either Windows or OEM drivers, and if that works then you need to make sure that neither Dell or Windows automatically overwrite the working driver.  For me, Dell used to be an obvious go-to recommendation, but for years now I've found better value and more reliable performance either building my own desktops, or specifying all components for a system builder like Scan.  Which sadly doesn't help you with your laptop.  

I think you have to make this Dell's problem.  Tell them to fix it, or if the laptop allows it, ask them to supply an alternative network adaptor.