Menu
PK20
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Modem or router

Has anyone turned their Virgin router into modem mode and then purchased a router to assist with WIFI coverage, does it work, is to worth it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem or router

@PK20 wrote:

Has anyone turned their Virgin router into modem mode and then purchased a router to assist with WIFI coverage, does it work, is to worth it.

Lots of people - it's the recommended way (certainly around here) of running your VM connection.

IMHO it's worth it for a few reasons, wifi quality being one, flexibility and configuration being another (the hub is a dreadful router).

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lots of people have and yes it does work

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Its worth it just to let VM know we don't want router mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Sid70
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've had problems with the wifi signal to a Google Nest outdoor camera. The signal was weak and the camera was offline more than on, also the video quality was set low in order to function at all. I think that a dummy camera would have worked better!

I bought a Google Nest wifi to extend the range but this didn't help much. I finally bought a TP Link C4000 router and set it up in Access Point Mode. This didn't improve matters. Following advice from JBrennand on these forums I set the Superhub 2 to Modem Mode and connected the TP Link as the router. What a difference! Camera now works on top video quality, wifi is banging, internet is scorching what a result. Thank you Mr John Brennand you are a saint. 

0 Kudos