Menu
JG47
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode

Hi all

I've recently purchased a BT Home router to plug into my Virgin 3.0 as the 3.0 WiFi doesn't cover the house. I now want to switch the 3.0 to modem mode so I can use the BT Home as my exclusive router WIFI. So far no luck when I switch The Virgin to modem mode (majenta light) and use just one port for the BT Home- the BT unit has been flashing blue for 2 hours.....Anyone else had similar problems?

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem mode

Which model exactly of 'BT Home Router' do you have?

Which port on the BT router are you using to connect to the Hub 3?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the BT home hub is a DSL router, not for cable.
the BT home hub is expecting to get a DSL connection from a phone line, it won't get a connection from your virgin hub.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
the BT home hub is a DSL router, not for cable.
the BT home hub is expecting to get a DSL connection from a phone line, it won't get a connection from your virgin hub.

If it is a BT Home Hib 6, it can be used as a router if the Hub 3 is kept in router mode.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Networking-BT-SmartHub-6-with-Virgin-Hub-3-...

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

you wouldn't want to run 2 routers on the 1 network though, that's just going to create problems that you don't need.

and that link you provided is running the BTHB solely as a wifi access point and NOT a router, so my reply is still correct, you can't use the BTHB as a router connected to the virgin hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

you wouldn't want to run 2 routers on the 1 network though, that's just going to create problems that you don't need.

and that link you provided is running the BTHB solely as a wifi access point and NOT a router, so my reply is still correct, you can't use the BTHB as a router connected to the virgin hub in modem mode.

If the BT HH 6 is set up as per the link, it will be served DHCP from the VM Hub 3.  All the remaining Ethernet ports on the HH6 will be available in the 192.168.0.x range.

What problems do you envisage? There will be no double Natting.  It's not what I would do because the HH6 is as lame a router as any ISP supplied router.  But I'm answering the OP's point, albeit at the expense of modem mode which can't be used with the HH6.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

you are agreeing with me, you just don't seem to realise it.
as i said, and you have just confirmed, the BTHH is NOT running as a router if you do what is in that link, it's running as a WIFI AP.

if it was running as a router then you would have problems, but that link does NOT have the BTHH running as a router. the virgin hub is still the router in this situation.

the OP wanted to use modem mode with the BTHH as the router - that won't work as the BTHH is looking for DSL connection.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Correct. But the OP is saddled with a HH6 (or maybe not as he hasn't told us). So if that's his resource, I've told him how to connect it to a Hub 3 and use it for both Ethernet and WiFi (which latter he can turn off).

0 Kudos
JG47
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have a BT Whole Home. BT support tell me it is comparable with a modem..

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

yes compatible with a DSL modem.
virgin isn't DSL, it's cable - two totally different things.
0 Kudos