cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem mode + router issue

sdorfehs
Joining in

Hi, in recent days my internet has developed a problem. According to VM website their Broadband is working fine in the area. Also their tool to "check" your router/modem doesn't work.

My internet is slow, becomes unresponsive, very intermitent. I have the virgin media hub in modem mode and I'm using a WRT 1900 AC for my router. This setup has worked fine for the last 6 years. I'm pretty sure it's not my router that is causing the problem.

Although.... When I log into router it takes a very long time after entering password, router operates slugish and slow. The router reports on the main screen that there is no internet connection. But internet is working (just not as good as normal). I have the latest firmware, I have reset router etc, all the usual stuff. I don't have a complex setup. I forward 1 port.

I have turned off all devices, disabled wifi, reset and rebooted everything multiple times. Router is very slow to log in when it used to be milliseconds/instant and the message of there being "No internet connection" still remains.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

g0akc
Problem sorter

How are you connecting to the router?  Use wired connection for testing/config work.

Try connecting directly to the hub - bypassing the router - so disconnect the router and connect just one device (laptop, PC) via Ethernet - is internet good then?  Public IP address will (should) have changed.

Check the information on the hub status pages and post the stats here.

Try the hub in router mode (to test) is that okay?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sdorfehs,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your at home connection! We understand how frustrating this can be.

I understand that you have your Hub in Modem Mode at the moment and that it's connected to a third party Router. Unfortunately, we cannot run tests and checks on third party Routers, so to ensure that all checks are carried out on our side, we would encourage you to put your Virgin Media Hub into Router Mode for at least 24 hours, so that we can run checks on our side and see if your power levels are in the right place.

We can only see this once your Virgin Media Hub is in Router Mode, unfortunately, otherwise, it looks like there are no issues on our side.

Please let us know when you've switched your Hub back into Router Mode, so we can complete the tests for you and see what we can do to help.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Once back in router mode check the colour of the led light on the hub. If it is still red in router mode you will probably need a new hub.