cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem mode not working AGAIN

wwforever
Tuning in

I have already had virgin come out and replace my hub 3 with a different one (presumably refurbished or something). This "new" hub 3 worked for a while in modem mode and has now failed.

I do not want a hub3 again as they are faulty equipment. They do not work in modem mode. They only work in router mode.

Is it possible to replace this hub with my own modem, for example, a netgear cm1000?

11 REPLIES 11

g0akc
Problem sorter

@wwforever wrote:

I do not want a hub3 again as they are faulty equipment. They do not work in modem mode. They only work in router mode.

Is it possible to replace this hub with my own modem, for example, a netgear cm1000?

Bold statement!  Our Hub 3 has been working fine in modem mode for years.

You have to use a Virgin Hub on their network.  You cannot use a third party modem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
connect PC directly to the hub in modem mode and see if thats stable
---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What exactly happens to the Hub 3's when they fail in modem mode.

I'm curious as I've used every Hub I've ever been sent from VM in modem mode, and they have all worked perfectly. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@legacy1 wrote:

This doesn't work. I cannot access 192.168.100.1 with a cable connected, running to a laptop. I've power cycled the router multiple times. 

My previous hub worked for about 3 years in modern mode before falling. This new one only lasted 2 months therefore I'm assuming there has been some kind of firmware update which has wrecked them.

The hub WiFi is not fit for purpose therefore I need to run in modem mode. 

I've also tried factory resetting it multiple times and changing to modem mode afterwards. Each time is the same

• No access to modem status page
  • No internet either to router or to laptop plugged into port 1
  • Laptop recognises that it's connected to an ethernet network but cannot access any resources

@wwforever wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

This doesn't work. I cannot access 192.168.100.1 with a cable connected, running to a laptop. I've power cycled the router multiple times. 

You need to power off the hub in modem mode for 2mins then turn it back on wait 5mins and unplug replug ethernet to get IP 

@legacy1 wrote:

@wwforever wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

You need to power off the hub in modem mode for 2mins then turn it back on wait 5mins and unplug replug ethernet to get IP 

Thanks. So I should start the modem with Ethernet plugged in and then unplug it after 5 minutes and plug it back in? Or start the modem with nothing plugged in? (I've tried this btw but didn't wait 5 minutes, probably less)

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In my experience, with Hubs 3 4 & 5, I’ve always left the Ethernet cable connected, but once the hub is in modem mode power it’s off everything else must stay powered on. Power on the hub, ensure the LED is magenta for a Hub3 or green for a Hub4/5 then the connection should work. The VM hub MUST be the last piece of equipment powered on. These instructions are what I have always followed:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yes start with it plugged in windows has a stupid thing by giving you a auto IP 169.254.0.0 and you have to unplug replug to make windows DHCP from 0.0.0.0