Menu
Burning_Ranger
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode and pfSense

Hi,

I have the bog standard HUB3.0 in modem mode with a Asus N66U which works fine. I'm trying to migrate to pfSense.

I've configured pfSense for DHCP on the WAN interface. But I'm having difficulty with getting SH to give out a DHCP address. I can see on the pfSense systems logs that it send outs a DHCP Discovery packet, but doesn't get a DHCP Offer back.

I've tried rebooting the SH while the pfsense is on, I've tried rebooting the SH then plugging in the Ethernet cable, also tried rebooting the pfsense/disabling/re-enabling the connection.

One time I did get a 192.168.100.20 IP from SH, but the light on the SH stayed green and it wouldn't give me a public IP. I rebooted but I never managed to give me an IP again.

Strangely, I plugged my Asus N66U back in, got a 192.168.100.20 IP immediately, but it would't give me a public IP. I left it overnight and came back in the morning to find it working.

Is this something to do with the MAC of the Asus N66U WAN port? Does it have some sort of TTL which I need to wait for it to expire before it will work?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem mode and pfSense

Hello

I also have a pfsense box (custom built) and no issues, what color is the light at the bottom of the hub it should be magenta, the way I had to get it working for power off the hub and pfsense, wait 30 secs power back on the hub, wait until the light stablise can take a few minutes, then power on your pfsense box. The pfsense box should then get the IP address from the router which will be a wan address.

What is you version number of PFSense.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Burning_Ranger
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's 2.4.4.

The light on the bottom of the Hub is green and the two green arrows are flashing.

So you're saying I should wait for the Superhub light to go magenta before plugging in the pfsense? If the superhub going magenta is independant of the pfsense, then it's not going magenta/taking several hours to turn magenta.

Did you have to set any MAC spoofing (I tried spoofing the Asus N66U WAN MAC onto the pfsense WAN but it makes no difference)? What options do you have on your pfsense WAN?

I'm running pfsense as a virtual machine inside ESXi if that makes a difference (not that it should)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

are you 100% sure the hub is in modem mode ?
you shouldn't have to spoof anything. i didn't (although i don't use pfsense, i use EdgeOS).
0 Kudos
Burning_Ranger
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I can access the hub on 192.168.100.2 (or maybe.1 - can't remember, I'm at work now) and the hub is only using 192.168.100.x when it's in modem mode.

And I have it back on my Asus N66U and it's working fine , still in modem mode.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yeah modem only mode is base light = magenta and not green, it doesnt look like your in modem only mode hence why the issues.

I would pinhole reset the hub and try again to enable mode only mode.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Timwilky
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Pfsense works very well for me with hub 3 on a custom build. Agree  with others hub should be Magenta.

Best functions as well as a highly configurable firewall are :-

HA proxy lets me reverse proxy SSL connections to internal devices by their DNS names

Open VPN server means I can access all internal devices securely from phone/tablet, no nasty cloud services for CCTV / Smart devices etc. as the quad core processor supports AES-NI I can get acceptable throughput.

VLAN support.

HE tunnel means I have IPv6 to all devices on the LAN.

Selective routing through VPN tunnel.

Stick with it. once you start to master the nuances, you will not think of reverting. Use the Asus as an access point.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Here is my setting for pfsense :-

Screenshot (4).png
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Burning_Ranger
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i've always noticed that when the hub is reset it will go from white > green (negotiating connection i assume) > magenta

Thanks for the screenshot, I think mine looks the same but I'll keep persisting with it.

BTW what software is that, some sort of connection manager, RoyalTS or something like that?

Timwilky: I configured and used pfsense at work for 8 years, so am very familiar with it. It's amazing what you can get for zero pounds and zero pence and miles better than Cisco crap. My plan is to control outgoing traffic and set up a Apache Guacamole RDP HTML5 gateway, as well as pfBlockerNG for adverts

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you can find the WAN MAC of the Asus N66U you can put that in the pfSense WAN settings.

0 Kudos