cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem mode & virgin pods

superjimbo1970
On our wavelength

Hi all,

I've got another thread going about the trouble I've been having with my Hub 3. My query is, if I was to use the Hub 3 in Modem mode, and buy a separate router, would the Virgin Pods still work with it? Or do they only work with the Hubs in router mode?

9 REPLIES 9

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, the WiFi Pods only work when the Virgin Media Hub is in Router Mode, with a single SSID and Channel Optimisation enabled.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Ernie, unfortunately that's what I'd feared. ☹️

It seems ridiculous that multiple Pods are being sent out rather than a decent Hub! If the source is bad they can't make up for it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s all done this way as it costs VM less. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey superjimbo1970, thanks for your posts on our forum page.

Sorry to hear about this issue with pairing a hub with our pods, please be advised our WiFi pods are designed to work with our hubs and services, in case you're using  3rd party router this may not be compatible with our equipment.

Have you tried to set up the pods using the VM hub as advised on this page here to see if this helps with the signal strength and speeds?
Also, how many pods have we sent and are you also using our VM Connect App to check the quality of the WiFi signal in the house when pods are on?

All info about this service can be found here, please have a read and let us know if you have any questions - we're happy to help.

Please, note: If the issue is on the WiFi, a hub replacement would not have the effect you're expecting in this case and this may cause further frustration for you instead.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

g0akc
Problem sorter

Having raked over your other thread regarding your hub 3 it appears to me that the issue lies with your home network, and the shortcomings of the hub/collection of pods.  I can't see an issue with the broadband connection (in terms of modern error count) apart from the comments already made in that thread around some noise. No apparent issue with BQM.

I'm not convinced that getting a new hub (of whatever model) will help.

My suggestions would be;

• Check that the broadband connection is solid.  Best done with a wired connection.  Contracted speed achieved?
  • Check if there any drops with device(s) kept in same spot - not roaming around the house
  • Depending on the type and size of the property, invest in a good router or mesh system.   A mesh will likely be better where there are wireless coverage considerations.  Separate additional wireless access points is an alternative but can be more of a challenge to set up/manage.
  • Use the hub in modem mode with the above solution and return the pods to VM - are you paying rental fees on them?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you really want to use those Pods with your own router you can buy the same things from Plume which are not tied to Virgin Hubs. But according to the magazine reviews they are not particularly special. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi there, sorry for the long delay continuing this, serious family illness. I’ve answered below, the problem seems to be the wifi from the hub, as I’ve suspected for about 5 years.

• Check that the broadband connection is solid.  Best done with a wired connection.  Contracted speed achieved? Yes, full speed an no dropouts.
  • Check if there any drops with device(s) kept in same spot - not roaming around the house. We have many dropouts while laptops are stationary. This is the problem, the wifi is rubbish, even 2 metres away from the hub it drops out. Wifi connections “seem” OK during dropouts (full wifi signal showing, but nothing loading). This is the same for WIndows and apple devices. 
  • Depending on the type and size of the property, invest in a good router or mesh system.   A mesh will likely be better where there are wireless coverage considerations.  Separate additional wireless access points is an alternative but can be more of a challenge to set up/manage. This is a pretty small flat. VM have sent pods to sort this but they rely on the wifi from the hub suppling a decent & constant wifi, which it doesn’t do.
  • Use the hub in modem mode with the above solution and return the pods to VM - are you paying rental fees on them? We aren’t paying extra for the pods, but we really shouldn’t need them. Our flat is small and if the wifi router worked properly we’d be free of this stress.

Hi @superjimbo1970 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. We can certainly assist you, we would need to bring you in for a private message to discuss this and resolve. 

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Thanks Sabrina, I've just responded to your PM