Menu
Neil861
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Modem location

Are VM allowed to leave your modem in a place that puts your safety at risk and then charge you £99 to relocate it to a safer place? 
i was told it HAD to go in my kitchen right next to the sink and an engineer yesterday relocated it for me to a safer place, something 2 previous engineers said couldn't be done when it wouldn't have cost me £99. I feel this deliberately done to get more money out of me. Their engineer even made a note of its unsafe location for me.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Modem location

Hello

When it was installed the engineer should of asked where you wanted the hub, as when mine was install he asked and was placed up stairs and entry point is downstairs. No the engineer should not place it in a unsafe place, like near water where it could get splashed.

Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Neil861
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

That was what i thought but he didn't at all, he just said it has to to in the kitchen right next to the entry point. I have a cat, she likes to jump up to look through the window, shes knocked it a number of times and once or twice its gone straight in to the sink. If i was doing dishes and she did that, it could have killed me. I finally had enough once my contract was up and told them I’m leaving to go with a provider who will put it in a safe location, they then got another engineer out and you know the rest. With their engineer making a note of this should i be allowed to dispute their charge? It took 3 engineers, the 1st one who installed it, the second one said it also couldn't be moved and the 3rd who dis move it but this came at a cost. Does that seem right? Thank you for replying to me as well i really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If i was doing dishes and she did that, it could have killed me.

its 12v there is not enough voltage in 12v to pass though human skin the resistance is to high. You wouldn't get killed.

Well not unless someone in the family kills you for breaking the internet and keeping them off facebook 🙂

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Neil861
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I wasn’t aware of that tbh lol, i just know water and electricity don't mix. 
even still, it should never have been put there especially seeing as yesterday proved it could be moved in to the living room. 
until you told me that, i always believed it was unsafe given its connected to the mains   and even the engineer said it should never have been put there.
to add insult to injury though, they actually cut me off at midnight because the charge pushed me in to the credit limit. My bills not due until 10th Nov. I had no warning and no reason to believe that would happen. I just think its a bit horrible to be treating customers like that especially when they pay on time every month and even more so because of something that should have been done from the very start. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

i can't comment about the placement.

But the power adapter (plug end) would be dangerous. The 12v end not do much. Its like putting your finger over both connectors of a 9v battery. Not enough current to pass though skin. 🙂

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Mains is dangerous, BUT it should not be so. All you need is a whole home RCD or even better RCBOs on every circuit, must be 30 ma trip. This will make your home safe in nearly all instances.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

30mA in 30ms. Often this fails to depend on how close the RCBO is from the source of the fault

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Neil861 wrote:

Are VM allowed to leave your modem in a place that puts your safety at risk and then charge you £99 to relocate it to a safer place? 
i was told it HAD to go in my kitchen right next to the sink and an engineer yesterday relocated it for me to a safer place, something 2 previous engineers said couldn't be done when it wouldn't have cost me £99. I feel this deliberately done to get more money out of me. Their engineer even made a note of its unsafe location for me.

lets just be clear have you paid £99 for it moving after they installed it as you describe - if so imo thats not on - i will raise this to staff in the assumption you were robbed of £99

if they did it for free then nothing lost

@ModTeam - someone really needs to look at this - short version - a lazy tech installed hub in a dangerous position - customer has complained and finally got it moved and the indication is they paid £99 for that - that cannot be right - can staff investigate please

Tony
chenks
Community elder
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

could the old "you signed the job sheet to say you were happy with the installation" be the classic get out clause here?