cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem light red,, internet works?

Westy2023
Joining in

My modem has solid red light for around 8 months WiFi works but buffers quite often and internet drops out every now and again, research suggests power supply issue but currently paying for a service I'm not fully getting 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The red LED is an overheat warning and if it persists across a power cycle the Hub needs replaced as it's a risk.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will arrange this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The red light is an overheat safety warning. If it’s a hub 3 this may be erroneous, but in any case the hub must be replaced as it is a fire risk. I have escalated this thread to the Forum Team so that they can organise at tech visit to replace it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Westy2023, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you are seeing this issue with the red light affecting your service. I can certainly appreciate this is frustrating. Can you please try the following to see if this helps?

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub. 

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight. 

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on.

If you still see the same after doing this, please pop back on this thread and we can then arrange for a technician to be booked for you to take a look at the hub.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi I've done all of these things suggested, I have even left the hub off for the weekend and placed a fan pretty much on it, it's still the same I've had the hub a while now, maybe it's just old? Like I said in previous post some people are having issues with power supplies resulting in red light.

Many thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The red LED is an overheat warning and if it persists across a power cycle the Hub needs replaced as it's a risk.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will arrange this.

Hi Westy2023, 

Thanks for coming back to us and letting us know that the red light has persisted. 

As mentioned by Nathan above, we'd like to arrange for an engineer to attend to take a look at the hub and replace it. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Westy2023, 

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs