cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Mode

Grantona
Just joined

Hello.  I know that your public IP cannot be changed and I've read mixed responses about modem mode. I'm troubleshooting issues connect to my work VPN and we currently want to try changing the public IP to see if it makes a difference. If I go into modem mode on the Hub 3 and use my own router, will my public IP be the same as that of the router or will it be different? VM told me it would be different but it took 3 hours and speaking to 7 people to get that answer and I'm really not sure.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

When you change to modem mode you get another WAN IP address. Should you change back to router mode you will get another WAN IP address but in all likelihood it will be the same as when you were previously in router mode.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

When you change to modem mode you get another WAN IP address. Should you change back to router mode you will get another WAN IP address but in all likelihood it will be the same as when you were previously in router mode.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Yes it be difference you can even connect a PC to the hub in modem mode to get another IP.

---------------------------------------------------------------