cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Mode will not work - Hub 4

valerina7
Tuning in

Looking for help with my Hub 4 - it will not work in Modem Mode. I have tried with two different routers (one an Asus, one a Netgear Nighthawk) and neither of them will recognize an internet connection when plugged into the Hub. I have tried to restart/reboot/factory reset everything and reconnect in a variety of patterns and sequences and nothing has worked.

The suggestions found on this board mainly focus on shutting down the Hub, initializing the router first, then plugging things back...but I have tried it so many times with no luck. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be grateful. Nothing is working and I've already got two routers just sitting there doing no good.

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You must follow the correct sequence when setting up mode mode, instructions follow:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

If only I could be a fly on the wall to see where your going wrong.

Two other ways to go about doing this.

One in router mode connect only your router WAN port to hub connect PC to your router internet should work login to hub 192.168.100.1 change to modem mode.

Two change hub to modem mode then power off hub for 2mins connect only a PC to hub and power on hub wait some mins then unplug replug ethernet cable till you get internet connect this PC to your router and login find MAC clone option to copy PC MAC to router then connect router to hub and internet really should work.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen your reply on other posts, and believe me when I say I have painstakingly followed these directions several times with no positive result.

I appreciate the other options, I'll try them both and see if they will work.

Hi @valerina7,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Hub 4 functioning correctly whilst in Modem Mode. I can see some other forum members in this thread have offered some advice. Let us know how you get on with that and if you need any further assistance at all.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!