Menu
Watkins29
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode trouble

Hi 

I just got an Asus RT-AC86U router to help speed up the WiFi and reduce blackspots. I have followed the instructions to switch my Hub3 into modem mode however the new router isn’t connecting to it. I’m not sure if the problem lies with the Hub3 as the light stays red or when rebooted will have a green light then go red like a failed connection. Other posts have said the light should be magenta when in modem mode. Or if the problem is with the new router, I have connected all the cables into the correct places and tried all ethernet ports with no luck, the internet light on the router just stays red. Any advice to get it connected? Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem Mode trouble

@Watkins29 wrote:

Hi 

I just got an Asus RT-AC86U router to help speed up the WiFi and reduce blackspots. I have followed the instructions to switch my Hub3 into modem mode however the new router isn’t connecting to it. I’m not sure if the problem lies with the Hub3 as the light stays red or when rebooted will have a green light then go red like a failed connection. Other posts have said the light should be magenta when in modem mode. Or if the problem is with the new router, I have connected all the cables into the correct places and tried all ethernet ports with no luck, the internet light on the router just stays red. Any advice to get it connected? Thanks in advance. 

• Turn off both devices.
  • Turn on the Asus and let it initialize.
  • There should be no other ethernet cables plugged into the HUB, other than the one between it and the Asus.
  • Ensure the HUB is plugged into the blue ethernet 'WAN' port of the Asus and the other end is plugged into the top port of the HUB.
  • Turn on the HUB.
Watkins29
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, tried that but still no luck. Think the problem is with the hub. Looked at some other videos about switching to modem mode, they have a white light that then goes purple/magenta. Mine just goes red. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Change the hub to modem mode then turn it off for 2mins connect a PC/laptop to the hub and power on see if you get internet.

---------------------------------------------------------------
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The AC86U does work with a Super Hub in modem mode. I've always had my Super Hub 2 in modem mode and the last 3-4 years an AC86U has been my router. It's easily capable of maxing out our 200/20 service on the 5 GHz band.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
awmaines
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Don’t take the “magenta” to literally, it’d always looked red to me when working in modem mode. As mentioned in a previous post, ensure that the router is the only device connected to the hub.

g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Our Hub 3 is running in modem mode with a third party router.   The 'magenta' light actually looks red. Various posts on here about that.

As already mentioned, disconnect everything from the hub and plug a laptop in via Ethernet if you can (I use the Ethernet port furthest from the power switch/RF cable).

Try logging into the hub at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1   - the address at which one can connect to the GUI will indicate if the hub is in fact in modem mode.

Check the setting in the GUI - modem mode or router mode.  Set accordingly if necessary/wrong.

See if you can access the internet on the laptop.

Disconnect the laptop.

Connect the router instead.

Power cycle the hub to initiate a new DHCP request (The public IP address with the laptop will have been different).

See if the router is now connected to the internet, has a public IP address and devices can connect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Watkins29
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Tried that, no internet on the laptop. Is that a faulty hub? 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

forget the asus for a minute - put the hub into modem mode and connect your laptop direct to it - does it work like that - if not try a different lan cable - if it works then it would suggest the asus is the problem

Tony
0 Kudos
Watkins29
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The Asus wasn't connected, it was only the laptop direct to the Hub. I've rebooted the hub, changed LAN cable and used a different port on the hub. The Laptop now has an internet connection. checked the settings via 192.168.100.1 and the hub is showing as being in modem mode. Do i now reboot the hub the and connect to the Asus or just disconnect the LAN cable from the laptop and plug directly in the Asus?

0 Kudos