cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Mode for Hub 5

keithynb
Tuning in

I currently have the Hub 3 with WIFI turned off and a TP-Link Deco Mesh system, with the main node in Access Point configuration. I did this because I read that the Hub 3 cannot be put into "Modem mode".

I have been offered a Hub 5 and I understand it can be put into "Modem mode".

I want to set it up, change the SSID and password to the same as my current Hub 3 ( so I don't have to mess around with all my smart plugs etc) and set up my Mesh system again.

If, once I have made those changes, I set the Hub 5 in "Modem mode", do I now take the main Mesh node out of AP mode and into router mode? What difference would that make?

If I do need to change it to router mode, will I need to do anything else?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM hubs work far better in modem mode, they are not running a WAP, DHCP server or network switching, much less load on their underpowered CPUs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

Yes; the 5 can be put into modem mode, but then so can the Hub 3 - I've been running one like that for years!

To be honest, you probably wouldn't notice any difference between the 3 and 5 if both in modem mode. You are right about the mesh mode though, except put the main unit into router mode BEFORE turning the Hub 3 or 5 into modem mode.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM hubs work far better in modem mode, they are not running a WAP, DHCP server or network switching, much less load on their underpowered CPUs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Apart from changing the main Deco to router mode from AP mode, do I need to do anything else (i will have changed the SSID and password to match my current Hub 3)?

I current have an ethernet 8 switch box plugged into the Deco, I assume, in modem mode, the Hub 5 still only has the 1 ethernet socket enabled?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@keithynb wrote:

I current have an ethernet 8 switch box plugged into the Deco, I assume, in modem mode, the Hub 5 still only has the 1 ethernet socket enabled?

Yes but the a simple switch need to connect to the Deco other port not sure how the auto-sensing works you might need to just connect the Deco to the hub without the switch at first. 

---------------------------------------------------------------