Menu
Cardiffman281
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode cures all (nearly)

Ladies and gentlemen I have finally seen the light after some 20 years of being a Virgin / NTL / Cabletel /Cable Online customer. Stick the rubbish hub in to modem mode and get a good router. I now have an Asus RT-AC86U belting out *wirelessly* my contracted 350/35 at 370/37 at the opposite corner of the house. Yes I had to source the router from Amazon Spain as apparently sold out in the UK and therefore also had to grt a £3 plug adapter from Wickes but what a difference!

One small issue please for the techies. Wired connection with the Xbox switches manically between wired and wireless and is only stable if I unplug the ethernet cable but I would prefer that one to be wired. Any ideas please? (IP already reset to Normal from Aggressive) Ta. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Modem Mode cures all (nearly)

Have you checked out the settings on the Xbox, you should be able to turn off WiFi. My Mac mini simultaneously connects to Ethernet and WiFi and works fine, although I have turned off the WiFi. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Cardiffman281
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I'll check 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Cardiffman281 wrote:

One small issue please for the techies. Wired connection with the Xbox switches manically between wired and wireless and is only stable if I unplug the ethernet cable but I would prefer that one to be wired. Any ideas please?

Change the wireless password on the router then Xbox can't connect by wireless.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Cardiffman281
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Asus firmware update followed by disabling wireless did the trick. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

With the Xbox One, One X and Series S|X, when you connect them via an Ethernet cable, this takes priority over the wireless adapter and ceases the wireless connection, so you shouldn't need to do anything with wireless settings in the router or the console to use a wired connection on the Xbox. I'm not near my consoles right now to double check, but I'm sure that once connected via Ethernet cable, the wireless options in the console's Network Settings disappear as well. You can't disable the Xbox's wireless adapter via settings, you can either set the console to offline (all or nothing setting), disconnect/forget your wireless network (adapter still active), or plug in an Ethernet cable to give that connection priority over wireless.

Whenever I've used a wired connection with any of my Xboxes, I've never seen them try and use the saved wireless network as well, like it seems your console is doing. That is an odd one.

Side note: Go careful with the Normal/Aggressive WAN setting, as this has nothing to do with devices inside your network and can lead to your device being blocked by the ISP if used incorrectly.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

When an Ethernet cable is connected to the Xbox the Wifi gets disabled.

If it’s flicking between then 2 then I would suspect the issue is the Ethernet cable. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos