Menu
Akendo
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode Username and Password

I have just bought a TP Link Archer VR900 router and want to put my Hub 3 into modem mode. 

I have set everything up and deselected modem mode within the hub.  Logging into the the Archer, it’s asking for the username and password provided by my ISP.  I have used both my web login details (for accessing virgin media online), and the router password (no username). After going through the setup it says it cannot connect to the internet. 

Live trued all the ports on the hub and rebooted in various sequences in line with other advice here. Any help would be much appreciated. I’ve pasted my hub info page below if that helps......this is the original state  

BDC4216F-5046-455B-9309-0E3B8707AE5D.png

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem Mode Username and Password

that's an adsl modem, not really what you want, you want a router

something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Gigabit-UK-C7/dp/B00CEB53MS

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You need to set it to wireless router mode and use the port marked LAN4\WAN as the WAN port.

0 Kudos
Akendo
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I guess my question remains around the username. Which one should I use?

In terms of if this is the right type of router.....I dropped into one of these boards and picked up what others were using.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you don't use a user/pass
the router needs to be set to DHCP, and it just picks up the IP address from the mode.
sounds like you have it set to PPPoA/PPPoE or something similar - that won't work!
0 Kudos
AliasNeo
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Akendo wrote:

Thanks. I guess my question remains around the username. Which one should I use?

In terms of if this is the right type of router.....I dropped into one of these boards and picked up what others were using.

VM doesn't authenticate via username and password, it just passes the IP address through to your router.

During the setup under "Connection Type" there should be an option for "IPoE" or "IP over Ethernet" that is what you need to select, "PPPoE" or "PPPoA" won't work.

I've looked up the manual for your router and this is basically all you need to do.

If you already have a modem or your internet comes via an Ethernet jack on the wall, you can set up the modem router as a regular wireless router to share the internet.

1 Find the WAN port (labeled as LAN4/WAN) on the modem router, and connect it to your existing modem or the Ethernet jack on the wall. Then connect the power adapter and turn on the modem router. If you connect an existing modem, reboot it to get the modem router connected to the internet.

2 Connect your computer to the modem router. For details, refer to Connect Your Modem Router.

3 Visit http://tplinkmodem.net, and log in with the account you set for the modem router.4 Go to Advanced > Operation Mode, select the Wireless Router Mode, and click Save. The modem router will reboot.

0 Kudos
Akendo
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I’ll give that a go later. I’m probably over complicating the install.

0 Kudos
Akendo
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok, that seems to work. Question now, is do I put the Virgin Hub into modem mode?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you should alrady have your hub3 in modem mode, that's a pre-requisite to what you are trying to do.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The hub's base light will be magenta if it's in modem mode.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos