cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Mode Hub 4

johndm
Superfast

So, after 18 months or being with Virgin., decided to go to 1 gig and hub 4.

I've currently got a very stable network with the hub3 in modem mode with a TP Link AC2300 router downstairs and a TP Link WA1201 wired access point upstairs.

When I install the hub4 in a couple of days time, should I keep my existing router/access point and use the hub4 in modem mode, or use the hub4 as the main router?

I have over 100 connected devices, wifi is used for bulbs switches sensors wifi calling and tablets, all computers and AV equipment is ethernet connected

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

Use the H4 in modem mode - just swap it over - I'd connect a laptop to the H4 via ethernet to configure it for modem mode before connecting my own router

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

g0akc
Problem sorter

Use the H4 in modem mode - just swap it over - I'd connect a laptop to the H4 via ethernet to configure it for modem mode before connecting my own router

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Any specific port to use after switching the hub4 to modem mode as above?

Hub3 had to be port 1 ?

I would advise getting a modern router that xupports wifi 6. If your router will then support balances mode lags plug in 2 ports to the hub 4 to get the full 1150Mb otherwise you will only get 940Mb.

Plug into any port.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

g0akc
Problem sorter

@johndm wrote:

Any specific port to use after switching the hub4 to modem mode as above?

Hub3 had to be port 1 ?

I recall Hub 3 can be any of the 4 ports - but only one of those ports

Hub 4 the same (excepting any aggregation setups or whatever)

I use a hub 3 in modem mode and own router - it doesn't matter which of the Eth sockets I plug my router WAN side cable into

Don't need wifi 6 as all wifi connected items are low importance. All computers and AV equipment is connected via ethernet.

How do you use two ports on the hub 4 when there is only one ethernet connection between my router and the hub in modem mode?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is being referred to is port aggression. You use two ports on the hub and two ports on your own router if it supports this type of setup. I don’t think it’s worth it to just gain a few extra M.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

g0akc
Problem sorter

@johndm wrote:

How do you use two ports on the hub 4 when there is only one ethernet connection between my router and the hub in modem mode?

By using port aggregation - which has been eluded too - if your router/setup supports it - to effectively combine traffic over two ports (but only one device connected as such - the router).

If in router mode the H4 will in theory delivery the 'full' gig as some connections will be wireless, or over the four ports to different LAN side devices.

I too don't think it's worth messing about upgrading just to get a bit more bandwidth, or unless your existing router did support it.  Upgrade as and when if your needs change and list it as a possible requirement of new kit being considered.

The only devices I have that support wifi6 are my new laptop and new desktop, but they are both connected with ethernet anyway.

My iphones and ipads are a generation too old and only have wifi5, but get excellent speeds with the TP Link router

I guess it will be a very long time before smart switches, bulbs and sensors support wifi6?

I will factor in wifi 6 for any future router upgrades

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I guess it will be a very long time before smart switches, bulbs and sensors support wifi6?”
Too true, don’t forget though WiFi6 is not only for the 5/6GHz band, but also for the 2.4GHz band unlike WiFi5.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2