cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Teams

TE44
Tuning in

Hi,

I know this topic has already been covered but apparently I am supposed to start a new thread. I have the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 with 350mb. It all works well, except when I use Microsoft Teams: during a video or voice call I experience lags, buffering and disconnection. My wife has exactly the same problem on her laptop. We both use laptops that are mid/top range (so unlikely to come from the laptops). It happens even if nothing else (e.g. Netflix) runs in the background. We connect to the router via wifi from a room above or next to the one where the router sits (so not a long distance - especially since I can watch Netflix with no problem from these same rooms). Can Virgin Media help?

23 REPLIES 23

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

@TE44 wrote:

You mean the websafe and F-secure?? It is all off

No.

Go to 192.168.0.1 and sign into the Hub Settings > Advanced Settings > Firewall.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

OK thanks, just switched it off. I will test Teams.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Assuming your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment should solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Either.....

1) A Mesh System
2) A Wireless router
3) A Wireless access points
4) A combination of the above

Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout/size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget... £50 will get a decent introductory wireless router and up to ~£400 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Router & WAP's or top end Mesh system. You'll want something suitable within that range - I reckon ~£150 is about the sweet spot for most standard users - although some Mesh systems aroud ~£80 are well regarded . Last weekend 2 of my friends got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs and both told me it is... “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, attic and the garden” - but does depend on your property size/layout.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi we have just joined Virgin Media and (perhaps foolishly) put the router at the back of the house while actually the workers need a strong signal at the front of the house. Nevertheless the signal is pretty good at the front of the house but the one application that still seems unreliable is Microsoft Teams, it keeps failing, dropping out etc. I have tried turning off the firewall as was suggested but this does not seem to help. We might try a test right next to the router but I fear the problem will persist, frustrating as otherwise Virgin Media so much better than TalkTalk (non-fibre). Any other suggestions gratefully received!     

Put the hub into modem mode with your own router

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I had exactly the same problem. Disabling the firewall  helped (thanks @MikeRobbo) but it was not enough to get a stable connection. I bought the mesh system from Google (Nest Wifi) and never had any problem since. I realised that even though my Virgin router was not very far (just dowstairs), there was a lot of obstruction to the signal (as my house has a number of steel beams). The mesh system was very easy to install and the pods look good (and thanks to @jbrennand for recommending a mesh system). Good luck.

STunrer94
Tuning in

I am not sure how these forums work. 

I have an issue with my Virgin Media 100mb wifi where in the working weekdays the connection will disconnect on all devices and re connect within 30 seconds. This happens multiple times a day, but rarely (if ever) on a weekend. 

I feel it has something to do with myself and my girlfriends work laptops that both require us to be on Microsoft teams. At the weekend we stream films and play on a PS5 with no issues. However in the week this issue occurs. 

I have been on several calls with Virgin second support, I have reset my hub countless times, I have enabled channel optimization but nothing has worked so far. The most frustrating thing, is that we experienced little to no issues until we upgraded our wifi speed, then this has occurred. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Hi @STunrer94,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear you are having intermittent service when using Microsoft teams. How are you accessing Microsoft teams?  Are the devices connected by ethernet cable or wireless? 

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, 

Connected via wifi, the router is less than 2 meters away. 

Its in an open living room, downstairs with no obstacles in its way. 

Reset the hub a few times but no luck. Second support team at virgin said there was a downstream signal performance was low. 

I have been doing some broadband quality monitors over the last week, not sure if those would hep. 

Thanks for getting back to us @STunrer.

Does the issue occur when you access Microsoft teams on a wired device? Have you also tried splitting your WIFI bands to see if the issue persists? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs