cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Teams

TE44
Tuning in

Hi,

I know this topic has already been covered but apparently I am supposed to start a new thread. I have the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 with 350mb. It all works well, except when I use Microsoft Teams: during a video or voice call I experience lags, buffering and disconnection. My wife has exactly the same problem on her laptop. We both use laptops that are mid/top range (so unlikely to come from the laptops). It happens even if nothing else (e.g. Netflix) runs in the background. We connect to the router via wifi from a room above or next to the one where the router sits (so not a long distance - especially since I can watch Netflix with no problem from these same rooms). Can Virgin Media help?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Are you using VPNs ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

@TE44 wrote:

You mean the websafe and F-secure?? It is all off

No.

Go to 192.168.0.1 and sign into the Hub Settings > Advanced Settings > Firewall.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Assuming your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment should solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Either.....

1) A Mesh System
2) A Wireless router
3) A Wireless access points
4) A combination of the above

Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout/size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget... £50 will get a decent introductory wireless router and up to ~£400 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Router & WAP's or top end Mesh system. You'll want something suitable within that range - I reckon ~£150 is about the sweet spot for most standard users - although some Mesh systems aroud ~£80 are well regarded . Last weekend 2 of my friends got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs and both told me it is... “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, attic and the garden” - but does depend on your property size/layout.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

23 REPLIES 23

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Are you using VPNs ?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you connect the laptop to the Hub by ethernet cable instead of wifi, do you still experience the issues?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yes I do, as it is for work (I should perhaps have mentioned that). It is "Global Protect". I am not too IT savvy though... 

I have not tried but I cannot work in the room where the router is though

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Try disabling the Hub Firewall.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TE44 wrote:
I have not tried but I cannot work in the room where the router is though

3 points

1) This was a "test" to see if the issue is just with the wifi or whether there is a network connection issue - you dont know which.

2) You can connect on ethernet in the room you work in - 10/20/50 meter runs of ethernet cable are cheap and can be trailed over carpet etc, to the Hub temporarily for the duration of the call then packed away - or flat cable is easily concealed between carpet and skirts (if you have them of course 🙂 ) or can be run concealed in other ways

3) If its fine on ethernet, you may be able to use powerline adapters or simply get your own wireless equipment to improve the signal where you devices are

--------------------
John
--------------------

You mean the websafe and F-secure?? It is all off

OK I'll definitely try

What powerline adapters or wireless equipment would you recommend? Something like a wifi booster? I am looking for something easy to use