cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Teams keeps cutting out

JGLI
Joining in

I can see this is an issue for many...

Microsoft teams audio (not video) cuts out for me every minute or so for 10-15 seconds at a time. I'm using Wi-Fi and it happens even when I sit right next to the router. Not ideal when my new job is fully work from home and uses MS teams for all meetings.

We have the superhub2 and are being sent a new router (superhub 3) but from reading other forums, seems like this won't fix the problem.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

13 REPLIES 13

spgray
Problem sorter
does it happen when using an ethernet connection?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

I haven't tried using an ethernet cable yet, but that's not that practical

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Etherenet cable connections are always best fot those connections but... if there are no network connection problems you should consider getting your own wireless equipment - it will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Either.....

1) A Mesh System
2) A Wireless router
3) A Wireless access points
4) A combination of the above

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

spgray
Problem sorter

@JGLI wrote:

I haven't tried using an ethernet cable yet, but that's not that practical

maybe not practical, but essential to check if the issue is with the virgin connection, or just a WIFI issue.

My wife has been giving me grief over Teams lagging.

My setup is 1gig Hub4 on modem mode plus Wrt32x router flashed with Openwrt. I also have a Virgin extender setup for wifi wich has channels, SSID's etc set the same on router and extender.

But still she gets lag in Teams.

I gave her a spare Homeplug I had and made her connect via ethernet cable. Result - rock solid teams connection. No issue what so ever.

I suspect its the wifi. But I am not using the stock Virgin hub/

Maybe an excuse to fork out £200 on a new toy - MESH!

if you're using your own router and it's fine on ethernet then it's not a virgin issue.
mesh isn't the answer to everything though, they have their down-sides and in certain situations could even end up with a worse outcome.

I agree spgray it's not Virgin outside of my house. There are threads on here blaming UDP issues which impact Microsoft Teams. As you say the fact that it is fine on ethernet rules this out and this was my first aim to.

I dont experience issues over wifi using Teams BUT I am sat right next to the router when I am using it.

It is also impossible to tell the wife that you are not comparing like for like when she blames Virgin and says BT is better. We havent been with BT for over 18 months now and when we were she didn't have Teams nor did she work from home much which includes a VPN connection to her work. Come on r'lass look at it logically.

I suppose I should take the Virgin hub out of modem mode and try to see if that configuration has the same wifi issues.

My gut feeling is that there is something wrong in that middle area between wifi signals of the 3rd party router and the Virgin extender though. I will explore further. Beats watching Eastenders

I get major issues with teams every minute or so missing words and im using wired ethernet connections for my laptops and it does the same on wireless, I also have a AP in the house. Its been a real problem during interviews i'm having at the moment. Ive taken to using my Vodafone 4G which works better than my 200mbs connection which is embarrassing. 

I have heard its UDP issues with the superhub 3 and it dropping packets. The packet loss on TCP is a lot higher on virgin using ethernet then my tethered phone.

I'm out of contract this month so I need to get to the bottom of this or I will install Vodafone broadband and scrap virgin after 13 years and take the speed hit in hope that works. If anyone from virgin has news on this or a fix ? i.e a new super hub 4 with a fix then i would be grateful. I really suggest Virgin try a teams call which a lot of the world are using to see the issue on their connections for them self's.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aeburne wrote:

I get major issues with teams every minute or so missing words and im using wired ethernet connections for my laptops and it does the same on wireless, I also have a AP in the house. Its been a real problem during interviews i'm having at the moment. Ive taken to using my Vodafone 4G which works better than my 200mbs connection which is embarrassing. 

I have heard its UDP issues with the superhub 3 and it dropping packets. The packet loss on TCP is a lot higher on virgin using ethernet then my tethered phone.

I'm out of contract this month so I need to get to the bottom of this or I will install Vodafone broadband and scrap virgin after 13 years and take the speed hit in hope that works. If anyone from virgin has news on this or a fix ? i.e a new super hub 4 with a fix then i would be grateful. I really suggest Virgin try a teams call which a lot of the world are using to see the issue on their connections for them self's.

I use teams every working day and don't have the same issues.

It must be something in your area causing a problem (HUB stats out of spec, being in a congested (Oversubscribed/utilized) area, etc.).