cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh/speed and modem mode

Telbert
On our wavelength

Hey you clever bunch!

1: will the hub 4 ethernet ports work when I’m in modem mode?

2:  I’m confused by speed reading when running my mesh system… the speed check(powered by ookla) shows 850 in my mesh system app yet when I run ookla own app it shows around 250ish?

Any insight gladly received 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Telbert wrote:

One will work VM only allows one source MAC for one source WAN IP

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Telbert wrote:

One will work VM only allows one source MAC for one source WAN IP

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

1) No.  Either use the hub in router mode and the mesh set to access point mode, or have the hub in modem mode and buy a fifteen quid "unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch" from any online retailer, and plug that into the first mesh unit (with the mesh in router mode).  As a broad rule it is much better to have the hub in modem mode, because with the hub in router mode VM will piddle about with wifi settings in unpredictable ways.

2) Speed tests are as erratic as wifi can be.  I assume you've got a 1 Gbps connection - although 850 is nominally possible via wifi using 802.11ac, it is nominally possible you'll win the national lottery.  Try a range of different sites, but typical 802.11ac tops out around 600 Mbps (and more commonly 300-ish, much of which depends on the actual wireless device technical specs).  If you're using a Wifi 6 mesh and compatible Wifi 6 device you might see circa 900 Mbps plus, but as you'll be at the upper end of practical home wifi speeds, the mesh and devices will probably slow down to a reduced data rate at the slightest provocation.

Telbert
On our wavelength

Thank you!

Yes it’s 1gb service, I get at different times of day I’ll get different speeds.

it’s just if I do back to back test but in 2 different sources(although same speed test provider) it provides such a variance, and it’s the same each time so I can do test 1 in velop app and get 850, test 2 in ookla app and get 250 then straight back to velop app and get 850 again. It’s no biggie I just find it strange

ive got a tri-band WiFi 6 mesh just surprised I only get 250ish from it(silly question) does the speed get divided between the amount of nodes? 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

ive got a tri-band WiFi 6 mesh just surprised I only get 250ish from it(silly question) does the speed get divided between the amount of nodes? 

Depends on the model and the settings - even then it's usually a bit more advanced than simply dividing the bandwidth by the number of nodes.  If trying to track down whether speed is a shonky VM cable connection or wifi, it's best to measure speeds on an ethernet connected device, as that takes the wifi out of the equation.  If wired speeds are good and consistent, then look at the wifi, if the wired speeds remain erratic then suspicion leans on the cable connection.

If there's doubt, as a short term expedient run the hub in router mode, measure speeds over ethernet, and use the mesh in access point mode.  It's not optimal, but gives you the wireless coverage of the mesh, but any speed problems can't be blamed on the mesh.

@Telbert wrote:

If you're using wireless backhaul for the mesh setup, then this will affect the throughput devices can achieve.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node