Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mesh networking

I have a Virgin hub router with one PC running W10, a Synology NAS, and a node of a Mercusys Halo mesh network.  I can't work out how to set up sharing between the hard wired PC on the Virgin router and a laptop (or whatever) on the mesh network. Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Bernie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mesh networking

Sharing of what exactly?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sharing/copying files

B
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You need to allow network sharing between the machines and also make sure the network is set to a private network, not public.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but I already have that.

The laptop can see the mesh router, and it has shared folders

The PC can see the Virgin router.

The Virgin router can see the mesh router, and vice versa, with the Virgin router as the gateway.

...but the PC can't see the mesh router nor the laptop connected to it

B

B

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Are the devices in the same Workgroup and Network ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you're using the mesh as a router then the virgin hub should be in modem mode unless the mesh doesn't support routing.

Then again, they look like they only have 10/100Mbps ports so not great in the scheme of things.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

network diagram.jpg

This is the current setup. The Halo network sees the Virgin router as it's gateway. Everything works fine apart from the fact that computers on one network can't see those on the other. I don't want the Halo router to run the network as it only goes at 100Mbs, which is fine for laptops etc on wifi, but not for this PC.

Any thoughts please?

B  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Are the Halo's setup in AP/Bridge mode if the hub is still in router mode?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Actually, I seem to have sorted it.  I turned off the DCHP server on the Halo ethernet connected router and rebooted all the mesh nodes. Everything now takes its address from the Virgin router and everything can see everything else.

Don't seem to be able to access the Halo router now, but I don't need to at the moment, maybe never.

B

0 Kudos