cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Router for gaming

Psychohetty
Tuning in

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone could suggest a mesh router suitable for gaming? Our wifi keeps dropping out in the bedroom where my son's games console and I was led to believe one of these routers would probably help.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The deco, as mentioned above, gets a good write up around here. When buying, consider whether you want a dual band or tri band system. Tri is more expensive but includes a dedicated radio to shuffle traffic between mesh units so should be faster overall. In the deco range, this means the m5 or m9. Both systems have been around a while now and can be picked up for a reasonable price if you’re willing to wait for offers on them. 

alternatives from asus and netgear are also fine if you prefer their aesthetics. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

whiteswan
Dialled in

Hi - I have a DECO M5 system - I have 1 gig broadband.

I get full 1 gig downstairs and my son gets 700-  750 dload in his room.

Dave

The deco, as mentioned above, gets a good write up around here. When buying, consider whether you want a dual band or tri band system. Tri is more expensive but includes a dedicated radio to shuffle traffic between mesh units so should be faster overall. In the deco range, this means the m5 or m9. Both systems have been around a while now and can be picked up for a reasonable price if you’re willing to wait for offers on them. 

alternatives from asus and netgear are also fine if you prefer their aesthetics. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Another option to provide a much more stable ethernet cable connection to the computer and consoles, is a pair of poweline adapters. My las uses a pair in his room for his PC and consoles and gets great connectivity. See this for info...

https://www.techadvisor.com/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I believe the TP-Link Deco M5 is "only" dual band, not tri-band.  However, I don't think that for the suggested purpose that will matter - dual band still gives 140 Mbps or more potential connected to a a secondary mesh unit even on my cheaper Deco M4.  That sort of bandwidth is not easily saturated, so the latency (ping) critical for gaming will be as good as you'll get over wifi, and what's more the Deco app easily allows you to add the gaming machine to the QoS list that will prioritise traffic. 

I have to agree with @jbrennand that running an ethernet cable between gaming machine and hub/router is the ideal, if only because EVERY minor hiccup for a youthful gamer will, regardless of actual cause, be blamed immediately and vehemently on one of two things:

1) Daaaaaaaddddd!  The wifi's not working! <whine, whinge, moan, repeat>

2) Daaaaaaaadddd!  I'm being DDOS'd!  Can you change my IP address?  I didn't do anything, honest, somebody is picking on me for no reason.

You can address item 1 with an ethernet cable.  Item 2 is best addressed by other technologies.

Simple answer is modem mode plus your own router, and a WIRED connection for gaming.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

Brilliant! You are absolutely spot on about the blaming it's driving me nuts. Thanks for your help.

Thank you so much that's brilliant info, much appreciated.

Brilliant thanks

Hi @Psychohetty thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Have you fully resolved your issues?  If not, we'd be happy to have a look at your WiFi issue from here.

Regards

Lee_R