cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Hub showing constant red light

AdamDavison99
Joining in

Good evening,

after browsing the forum and trying every solution I’d seen to this problem, I’m having no luck. The router seems to have been doing this for 3 months plus now. We pay for the fastest possible connection in the area and I’m lucky to get 1 Mbp/s on my computer, paired with high latency and lots of packet loss, and now can only assume this has something to do with the constant red light on the front of our router, any help?

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Two totally separate problems, but first your hub will need replacing before looking into any other problems. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello AdamDavison99

We're sorry to hear of the red light issues with your hub and the problems with the speeds. We appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

Please can you try this for us:

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location and out of direct sunlight, if possible.

• Switch the hub back on at the power. The Hub should now operate normally.

Please report back with the result. Can you also give a bit more detail over the speed issues? What type of connection is this tested over? Wired or wireless? What devices? Is this all the time or just occasionally? We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

When running a speed test we would always recommend running this via a wired connection This can be completed using an ethernet cable via a PC or laptop and will allow us to see the speeds available at the Hub.

Thanks

Rob

Hi rob,

tried all of these and absolutely no chance with the lights showing on the router. Any chance of being sent a new one? It has been a constant problem for months.

Adam

@AdamDavison99 wrote:

Hi rob,

tried all of these and absolutely no chance with the lights showing on the router. Any chance of being sent a new one? It has been a constant problem for months.

Adam

Firstly as Tudor mentions above, there is no connection between the red light and any connectivity or speed issues - well except the red LED is a warning of the hub overheating or basically getting too hot, now in the majority of cases, the hub isn’t actually getting hot, it’s a failing LED or driver or other component. The point is that if this component is failing then it stands to reason that others might be on their way out too, which may explain the oft repeated apparent correlation between the red LED showing and general connectivity issues.

Either way, Tudor is right, the hub absolutely has to be replaced, if nothing else, on the grounds that suppose that it isn’t now dangerously overheating and the warning light is faulty, well how would you know if, in the future, it were to overheat? There is little point in trying to diagnose and fix any other issues until this is done, but as Rob has responded above, he should be able to arrange a hub swop, which I believe has to be done by a tech visit.

Thank you for that information. We can certainly look into getting a replacement sorted for you. 

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin