cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major packet loss 24/7

danbeynon
Tuning in
  • Hi recently joined virgin media and from day 1 we had around 10% packet loss, then a technician came to the house and replaced the router saying it was the problem and it didn’t change anything. Some work was done in the area on broadband and now getting around 15% all day making online gaming incredibly dull, any help would be appreciated (bqm below)
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a9b903bd930b7f315b382f46f9c3cd1a202de3b8

15 REPLIES 15

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What devices have you got connected to the Hub on ethernet cables?

Disconnect them all (overnight?) and let the BQM run and look to see if the red fringe disappears. If it does. Plug them back in one by one to identify one that is causing the issue.

If its still the same report back

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, thanks for the response, I’ve already tried seeing whether the powerline system we have is causing the issue, but the packet loss is pretty consistent throughout the house (even when the ethernet cable is connected directly from a laptop to the router), it’s also present on wi-fi connections. This makes me think it’s a problem that’s not to do with our original hardware (from before we bought the VM package), and the fact that we got a router replacement recently makes me think it mustn’t be the router but something else instead - I have checked local issues and the website says it cannot see any network issues in the area so I’m really unsure what the problem could be 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you do the experiment I suggest. There have been a few threads this year where the red fringe was shown to be due to a bad ethernet cable, a faulty network switch or a NAS, etc

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Sure - will do. Cheers for the help

Had all ports (bar the power supply) empty and unfortunately there’s been no improvements at all so it must be something else 

Likely a Docsis issue
---------------------------------------------------------------

So is there anything I can do or do I need to try and book a technician?

Hey there @danbeynon, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the VM broadband.
I will check this for you and investigate further by sending a private message, watch out for the purple envelope 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for chatting with us today.

As you have mentioned you have an appointment booked in the near future to sort this issue out.
Let us know how it goes 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs