cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macbook not connecting to wifi - Hub 3.0

justluh
Joining in

Hi all, 

this has been happening for a good 4 months or more, randomly my Macbook pro disconnects from the WIFI and it does not matter what I do, it won't connect again.

All my other devices are connected to the wifi, only the MBP has issues, if I try to use my Mobile network as a hotspot, it connects, so it does not look like a MBP problem.

Anyone can help with this?

thanks!

41 REPLIES 41

Extreme measure time now...

1) Reset your virgin media hub to factory settings and re-test

2) Failing step 1, wipe and re-install macOS on your MacBook Pro and re-test

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Reinstalling the OS just for this ! My that is an extreme suggestion. Particularly if it connects to wifi networks in other locations - work, Starbucks, friends houses...
I have never needed to do that to cure any issue on a Mac in 20 years.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for posting this. I have a similar problem. 

I have just had Virgin installed with hub3. All my pcs work (wireless and wired). All my iphones work. My wired Macs work. My daughters 12m old MacBook Air works wirelessly, but my wife's 4 year old Macbook Air does not. I am confused... 

So, the macbook will work wired. It can also connect to the hub wirelessly so that I can edit the hub configuration page but it CANNOT get onto the internet! I have tried lots of things including separating the 2g and 5g networks (and switching them off). Its not the macbook at fault (I think) as it CAN connect to the hub, but something in the hub appears to be blocking the connection to the net.....

Any bright ideas?

Hi RedCoat32

Thanks for posting on our forums 

Its a bit of a strange one to point any fingers at your equipment 

However as you have advised all your other devices are connecting okay 

It just appears to be your Macbook

Have you had this issue with your previous supplier 

Gareth_L

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RedCoat32 wrote:

Thank you for posting this. I have a similar problem. 

So, the macbook will work wired. It can also connect to the hub wirelessly so that I can edit the hub configuration page but it CANNOT get onto the internet! I have tried lots of things including separating the 2g and 5g networks (and switching them off). Its not the macbook at fault (I think) as it CAN connect to the hub, but something in the hub appears to be blocking the connection to the net.....

Any bright ideas?

Simple stuff first, switch its wifi off and back on.
Can the Air see the separate 2.4 and 5 GHz network bands in its drop down of available networks?   Also, can it connect to the Network on the 2.4GHz band (mine connects on both).

Screenshot 2019-09-04 at 14.57.11.png

If not, check that the settings in Network Preferences on that Air are exactly the same as those on the one that works. Check all the data in these individual tabbed pages

Screenshot 2019-09-04 at 14.58.03.png

Finally, does that Air connect ok wirelessly to other networks outside?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello RedCoat32

Quick message to check if you have been able to get connected after following @jbrennand handy tips 

Gareth_L

Thank you for the input. Although the notes you gave did not solve the issue directly I did lead me into something else. Although the MBAir was connecting to other networks I went though all the settings and matched those to an Air i knew worked. This meant i spotted a mismatch in the DNS codes between the two machines. Once I had copied these across and rebooted - hey presto, all was working. Thank you for the prompt.

Also I will say that separating the 2 G and 5 G networks on the hub, and the airport mesh I have, helped stabilize the whole network considerably.

Happy days all around then RedCoat32. 

Should you need anything else at all

Bob back on here and we can all help you out

Gareth_L

I had the exact same issue on my macbook Pro and by comparing the macbook pro DNS setting to the Mac Mini I could see that the DNS was missing from the Macbook. Adding those seen on the Mac Mini to the macbook pro resolved the issue. Yay!