cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacBook Air not connecting to hub 3

RaidoBerkana
Just joined

I've been having some issues connecting my MBA (around 3 years old) to my virgin hub 3. It seems to go in cycles of connecting and disconnecting. I'll connect initially, it'll work for 10-30 minutes then the Internet will cut out. When I go to reconnect, I'm prompted to give the network password which once entered, it tries to connect for a minute or so then fails and returns to ask me to input the password. Rinse and repeat 3 or 4 times and it connects for another 10-30 minutes and the same happens again.

All other devices connect to the network fine. MBA connects to other networks and hotspots with no issues.

This is a very new problem, the MBA always seemed to have some trouble connecting to my home's broadband but it would only ever happen at most once a day and get back online after 5 or 10 minutes. I've just received the device back from being repaired for water damage, having a new keyboard and logic board fitted. The problem seems to have worsened after getting the MBA back, but since it connects to other networks just fine I can't see how it could be something that happened while getting repaired?

Ive read through other topics like this but none seem to reflect my situation. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this using wifi or cable?  If wifi, try cabled connection for testing.  You can get ethernet adapters cheap if the MacBook doesn't have one.

If it's wifi try splitting the SSID as this will allow you to "lock" onto 2.4 or 5 Ghz band as needed, so will stop the "intelligent" wifi moving your wifi band and possibly causing the disconnects.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks