cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac wont access the internet

Michaelav89
Joining in

I was having issues with my internet speed so Virgin changed it two channels and now my mac won't connect to the internet, it finds the wifi and connects but doesn't have access to the internet. I spoke online to an advisor and they said it was a computer error, since then i have been to apple and wiped my mac to restart but the error is with the virgin internet as it connects to other wifis.

I tried renaming the wifis as advised in this thread (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Mac-won-t-connect-to-wifi/td-p/4311973) but that has made no difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8

lotharmat
Community elder
DO other devices connect OK?

What app is it on the Mac that won't connect to the internet? Safari?

There was an issue previously on here where Safari was trying to use a proxy server to connect and was failing.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

All other devices are fine, including my iPhone and iPad. 

On the mac i have tried chrome and safari with no luck. 

Can you try 'forgetting the network' and re-connecting?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Yeah i have done all that and even wiped the laptop and had to take it into the apple store to reinstall the OS as originally Virgin advised it was the computer with the issue which isn't the case.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM nonsense.  Have you anything else connected to the Hub on ethernet cable - your own router, switch, NAS, etc?

Then, look in Settings>Network>Advanced.

Is the ipv4 address in the same "range" as the router? Is it set to configure ipv4 "using DHCP"? Try renewing the lease too.

Then in the DNS tab - what is in the server box? And what is in the Proxies tab?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes our virgin tv box is connected to the hub by the Ethernet cable.

Can you advise how I can check if they are in the same range? I tried to renew the lease but that hasn’t made any difference. 

In the DNS box there is 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 under sever and nothing in search domain.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try changing the DNS box settings to 10.0.1.1 - or try Cloudflare at 1.1.1.1 and/or Google's at 8.8.8.8 and restart it and see if it conneccts

In TCP/IP my Router address is normally set to 10.0.1.1 - not sure if that's because I am in modem mode with my own router (hence same as my my dns) - and the "range" is something like 10.0.1.2  up to... 10.0.1.64 ("I think" - someone else should comment if that's accurate) - e.g.  my ip4v address has autoset to 10.0.1.37

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

nickrp
On our wavelength

I manually entered the DNS info- didn't make any difference
Upgraded to Big Sur- no change
Cleared all caches both application and Safari and Chrome- no dice

then this worked

1. Click the Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen, then select System Preferences
  2. Select Network
  3. On the Preference Pane, click the Advance button
  4. Click the Proxies tab
  5. Un-tick Auto Proxy Discovery (make sure all un-ticked unless you are actually using a proxy)
  6. Click Ok
  7. On the bottom of the Preferences Pane, click Apply and wait about 20 seconds. Everything should be working