cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M500 and TP Link Deco M4

Nex2004
Joining in

Hi!

wondering if anyone is able to help, I have the M500 package and I got the TP Link Deco M4 yesterday.

Prior to this next to the router I got speeds of approx 500 download when next to the router (however with some serious drops to 30 down at some points) and some black spots in the house. I now have completed the following:

1. put the Hub3 into modem mode

2. Added the deco M4 in router mode

This has resulted in WiFi all over the house without issue although with reduced speeds in some areas due to hops (as expected)

My main concern though is when connected to the main Deco (the one connected to the router via Ethernet) I am consistently getting speeds of 250 down which is half of what is expected, now I fully understand i am not expecting speeds or 500 on WiFi consistently but I seem to be totally capped at 250 currently and never go higher.

Anything you can do to assist or suggest would be fantastic!

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try setting it up again like this

You have to do the initial setup of the first deco unit whilst connected to the hub when it is in normal router mode, did you do this?

If not, put the hub back into router mode, get the first deco online and registered in the app, in DHCP mode - then put the hub into modem mode with the following instructions.. 

Log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1 and select the option to put the hub into modem mode
The hub will then reboot and come back up in modem mode - give it five minutes to settle down

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub. 
Power off both the Hub and all of the Decos.

Connect your 1st Deco unit back to the hub via ethernet cable and then switch it on - leave it five minutes to settle down

Finally - 
Power on the hub and leave it five minutes to settle down

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

From observation of mine, seems the M4 router undertakes load management, which for a its intended "wifi router as an appliance" purpose is a good thing.  If you want to see highest speeds on a particular device go into the app and try adding that device to the QoS list and see if that changes things.  Be selective - if you overload the QoS list then you'll be undermining the design logic.

Hi Andrew,

Sorry should have added that to my original post!

I only have 3 QoS devices enabled, my gaming console, my MacBook and my phone, 2 of the 3 are off right now and only 2 non QoS other devices connected to the network, still topping out at 250 down

John I’ll try this now! I put the hub3 in router mode before I connected anything previously will report back shortly 

Hi John, that worked perfectly thank you! 500 next to the router and then 200 and 100 for the next 2 hops.

For the final hop would I get much better speeds if I were to wire the main to the 1st?

Thanks again

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Possibly - hopefully Andrew will comment as he has the same set up

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The speed decrease is down to sharing the limited available 5 GHz bandwidth when "hopping".  In theory, hardwiring either of the non-primary Decos would improve speeds, I think you could even "chain" them so both non primaries are ethernet connected, and should then have no loss of speed because the backhaul is not using wifi at all.  But I haven;'t done that myself! 

You should always use cable if you can as Ethernet backhaul is better than WiFi backhaul. Furthermore it's best to connect subsidiary Decos to the main Deco which you can do by using a gigabit network switch* to overcome the limit of the Decos having just two LAN ports.

| --- Deco
hub in modem mode --- main Deco --- switch | --- Deco
                                           | --- Deco

* See  my sig for an example of an 8-port switch but you can get switches with fewer ports.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection