cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M500 Mesh Network

aberchris
Joining in

Hello everyone,

just got M500 to the house but advised that the WiFi is struggling to get around.

can anyone advise on a suitable mesh network, have seen Netgear Orbi or Blackhawk. Or indeed anyone selling one?!

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Like asking "what car should I get ?" 😎

Depends on your budget and requirements?
What will you be connecting to it - doing what?
And the size/layout/construction materials of your property?
Do you need external coverage?
Do you want wifi 6?
Will you want tri-band to reduce backhaul - to maintain top speeds?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @jbrennand, 

thanks for replying. Main purpose is for 2x Home working, 1x is a power user (Graphics)

alos have 3xHd tv, 4x iPhones, games console, 4x Echos,

looking for Tri band ideally and WiFi 6 to keep up to date WiFi. Only external coverage is to the garden, possibly garage but can get a satellite for there. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Depends on the budget - the Netgear Orbi's tick all the boxes at £500 for the 3-pack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Tri-Band-Satellite-Extenders-Coverage/dp/B089NN5N8V/

Router unit has 4 ethernet ports and 2 each also on the satellites to hard wire devices as well

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Oh... and whatever you get - follow this set up sequence...

Set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Then switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------