cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low upload speed

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

I've recently upgraded to the M200 package, and got the Superhub 3 just over a month ago. All working well for the first few weeks, had an area outage last month but apart from that pretty good. Download speed usually 219 and Upload 20mbps.

However since yesterday I've done tests using different websites the upload speed has dropped to 2-3mpbs and barely gets over 5. Download is still the same though, and I've done router reboots too. Same result. I've also tested with another machine and still the same low upload speed. On my phone and iPad via Wi-fi it barely gets over 1mpbs and that's sitting in front of my router.

I spoke to a VM tech yesterday and they suspected one of the wi-fi devices connected (2 smartphones 2 iPads) could be uploading something large and taking up bandwidth, but we switched off wi-fi for all those and just did my PC via ethernet. No improvement.

There's also a Wi-fi extender adaptor that runs from the hub, which goes into the detached garage at the back of my garden, but I cant imagine its this causing low upload as nothing's connected to it when I'm testing in the house.

I do video calling stuff for my work so the upload speed is the one I am keeping an eye on. I can just about get by with 3-4mpbs but it makes my video a bit laggy for a few seconds. 

Is it VM's issue or is this something I can fix? I think I've tried each possible troubleshooting scenario.

67 REPLIES 67

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

Hi thanks for the reply. Is there a new fault code now or...? Because someone else from the forum team gave me a code last week.

It's very frustrating as I rely on that upload speed for work calls (as previously stated) and am paying money for a service that isn't fully delivering.

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

For some reason my BQM is showing 100% packet loss again, I've updated (or re-entered) my IP address which seemed to jog it back into action last time but not this time. Should I make a new one or is my router just not responding to pings?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Daniel_C 

That often happens to my hub. I find rebooting the hub fixes the BQM again.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Reboot as in the pinhole reset right? Or simply switching it off and back on again? Maybe that will get my upload speed back as well....although I don't think my problem is router based.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Switching off and back on will  be ok, although I usually login via the 192.168.0.1 Admin > Reload and Reboot and perform a Restore Default instead.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Right, I'll give the switching off and on thing a go first. Had to do that loads with my old Hub as it was 7 years old and kept having system bugs in it I had to flush out.

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

BQM now showing data again! Thanks for that.

Upload speed still crap though, so the SNR issue still yet to be resolved.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Daniel_C,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your broadband.

I located your account, I can see there is an SNR Outage still in your area. We are working are to fix this asap. The estimated fixture time is still showing for today but this is subject to change.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide