cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low upload speed

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

I've recently upgraded to the M200 package, and got the Superhub 3 just over a month ago. All working well for the first few weeks, had an area outage last month but apart from that pretty good. Download speed usually 219 and Upload 20mbps.

However since yesterday I've done tests using different websites the upload speed has dropped to 2-3mpbs and barely gets over 5. Download is still the same though, and I've done router reboots too. Same result. I've also tested with another machine and still the same low upload speed. On my phone and iPad via Wi-fi it barely gets over 1mpbs and that's sitting in front of my router.

I spoke to a VM tech yesterday and they suspected one of the wi-fi devices connected (2 smartphones 2 iPads) could be uploading something large and taking up bandwidth, but we switched off wi-fi for all those and just did my PC via ethernet. No improvement.

There's also a Wi-fi extender adaptor that runs from the hub, which goes into the detached garage at the back of my garden, but I cant imagine its this causing low upload as nothing's connected to it when I'm testing in the house.

I do video calling stuff for my work so the upload speed is the one I am keeping an eye on. I can just about get by with 3-4mpbs but it makes my video a bit laggy for a few seconds. 

Is it VM's issue or is this something I can fix? I think I've tried each possible troubleshooting scenario.

67 REPLIES 67

A BQM is a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

"You were asked in post two of this thread to create a BQM."

He only said I could create one. I did the first bit he asked.

@Daniel_C wrote:

"You were asked in post two of this thread to create a BQM."

He only said I could create one. I did the first bit he asked.

Why did you ask what it was, when someone already linked to the site explaining what it is?

Because I thought the first part would solve it.

OK last thing we need is a nerd fight..

BQMs are very useful and great to keep as ammunition if your connection ever goes tango uniform! - I's get one set up and let's see what your connection looks like!

@lotharmat wrote:
OK last thing we need is a nerd fight..

BQMs are very useful and great to keep as ammunition if your connection ever goes tango uniform! - I's get one set up and let's see what your connection looks like!

Nerd?

Fight?

Just stating the obvious.

Ok will get round to this at some point. Whilst its gathering data in the background will it use up any bandwidth? As I don't want it running during a video call and reducing the speed etc.

Just leave it, I either missed it when he first posted or it was edited after he posted it.

If you got nothing useful to say then politely move on. Thank you.

@Daniel_C wrote:

Ok will get round to this at some point. Whilst its gathering data in the background will it use up any bandwidth? As I don't want it running during a video call and reducing the speed etc.

No, you can leave it running permanently.

It will but a tiny amount!