cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speed

Blair1900
Tuning in

I'm on 500 broadband and getting about 250 in living room. I have tp links in the bedrooms and plugged in with ethernet but only getting a speed of 17. Can anyone advise how I can speed it up

8 REPLIES 8

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Blair1900 👋.

Thanks for your post.

Sure we can help out. Sounds like something is causing a minor speed issue. this can be down to a couple of things. First one, the TP Links that you have, do you know if they are dual banded or not. For any WiFi extenders, they must be dual banded or you will not be a sufficient boost of signal and speed across the 2.4 Ghz channel and the 5Ghz channel. The ethernet cables that you have, can you check to see if they are Cat 5e and above so that they can give you the speed performance that you require for your 500mbs.

The 250mbs in the living room, is that without using a WiFi extender and also where in the property is the Hub located?

These links below can assist you. I highly recommend the Virgin Media Connect App.

ConnectApp - This one is easy, download onto your phone and link via WiFi to the Hub and scan every room in the property.
Improve WiFi - This one will give you some tips and tricks on how to improve. 

Keep us updated.

Sabrina

Hi, 

Thanks. Not sure if the TP links are dual banded. The virgin engineer put in the cables so I would imagine they are 5e. The hub is located in the living room where we are getting 250. 

I downloaded the connect app, it won't even find the hub 3 when right beside it and when I test the connection it says poor signal on all devices. Yet, if I run a speed test on my phone I'm getting around 250.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

(TL-PA4020PKIT)

Thank you for that information Blair1900. Could you try finding the hub 3 again on the app but this time not being right next to it? Please do be in the same room though. 

What speed do you get from outside the room?

^Martin

Blair1900
Tuning in

It won't find it at all

Hi @Blair1900 

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

What device are you using for the Connect App please? Have you got any VPN's on that device? If so, please remove it and see if it helps with the app. 

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Client62
Legend

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

The speed any WiFi device draws data at is limited by its data needs and technical abilities.

TL-PA4020PKIT - this is an AV600  Powerline with 10/100 network sockets, it is not a WiFi enabled.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa4020p-kit/#overview