Menu
Donwon
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Low signal strength on wifi devices

Hi....I have 200 mb download speed ..my box is on top of side cabinet in my front room, the issues I have I'm getting are my kids bedrooms are getting very low signal but in my frontroom shows up to 98mb..still not what it should be...so what can you do to inprove the signal...this has been going on for a good year now..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low signal strength on wifi devices

The 98 Mbps would suggest to me that  you may have an old 10/100 network card and not the Gigabit card you need, so your computer can't do more than 100.  Check what network card you have and if it is a Gigabit card check that it is set to operate at full speed.

As to weak signals upstairs, that is just the nature of WiFi I'm afraid.  Walls, ceilings and furniture will all impede signal strength.  You may want to consider acquiring some powerline adapters that use your mains wiring like an ethernet cable to provide a strong signal elsewhere in the property ...   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00OZDO8RE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&...

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Donwon
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply, I run them tests from my iPad so not sure what card that holds ..I know walls and ceilings will reduce the signal somewhat and yes was thinking of buying wifi signal booster cause kids are moaning at me...lol

Will let you know if it works like they say..

cheers

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Donwon wrote:

Many thanks for your reply, I run them tests from my iPad so not sure what card that holds ..I know walls and ceilings will reduce the signal somewhat and yes was thinking of buying wifi signal booster cause kids are moaning at me...lol

Will let you know if it works like they say..

cheers

What Hub model do you have?  If its a hub3 you can improve its wifi performance by disabling channel optimisation and renaming the networks SSID's.  Worth a go first.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos