cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Wi-Fi coverage except in the room where the hub is

Bobwix
Tuning in

I’m a new customer and am finding the Wi-Fi is great in the living room where the hub is but it’s terrible in the rest of the house. The kids are all shouting and complaining so I bought a plug in Wi-Fi extender but that has only helped in the one room I put it in which is the kitchen. I am not very technical but any help gratefully appreciated please? I can’t seem to order any boosters through Virgin Media. I am beginning to wish I hadn’t changed from BT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this....

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters” or extenders - these are "poor"). However, their new Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order them (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4). £40-100 will sort it permanently

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this....

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters” or extenders - these are "poor"). However, their new Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order them (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4). £40-100 will sort it permanently

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you I will try all your tips and see how I get on! Much appreciated

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Bobwix,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

It's great to have you on board with us 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with WiFi around the rest of your house.

We have some tips here on how to improve WiFi that you may find useful.

If you have the Hub 3, I'd also recommend our Connect app. When installed, you can do a wireless scan in the property. This scan will optimise the connection where possible to do so. It'll also check for any coverage blackspots in the property and if a WiFi Pod is needed, you'll be prompted to order one.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for your reply. I have done all of that and the app recommends ordering pods but then doesn’t take me to a working web page. It is really frustrating! I would like to order pods or anything really to make this work for us. Currently we have extra long Ethernet cable draped throughout our house so our son can use his computer in his room! Any help you can give me to get me to the right place to order these would be really appreciated 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What package are you on? You have to call in to order them - the VM website is borked

If the pods are not free on it you should spent the £5/month rental charge on buying your own solution outright. we can advise on here "what" would be worth getting

--------------------
John
--------------------

I have phoned the contact centre and a nice gentleman is going to send me some pods so hopefully this will solve the issue! Sometimes a phone call is much easier isn’t it?

Ok thanks. I have spoken to someone now. Phone is much better than website on this occasion. I am willing to pay £5 per month so have ordered the pods and will keep my fingers crossed it works and I’m not really tech enough to follow your solutions you offered but thank you so much for offering your help

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
ok - should work fine - for background info ... see this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Deco-M4-Seamless-Replacement/dp/B07QN4GLRG/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Bobwix

Glad to hear you've manage to speak to someone and have a Pod on the way to try out in the areas of the home you're having coverage issues. Please keep us updated with how you get on with the Pod and is you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be here to help if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley