cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Signal Strength on Hub 3.0

ajhayden93
Joining in

Hi, 

Over the last few days I've noticed a really dramatic drop in performance and black spots with all my devices connected to WiFi. I've run diagnostics using the online router console. and all of my connected devices are showing low signal strength. Most of the devices are in the same room within a few meters of the router. 

4The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
5The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
6The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
7The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
33 REPLIES 33

Steve_O1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey ajhayden93,

It sounds like your router isn't very happy. You may need a new one!

Have you tried calling our Customer Care team to see if they can send you a replacement in the post?

Thanks,

Steve

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician currently working from home. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know you can get £50 off your bill for referring friends and family to Virgin Media? Want to know more? Just drop me a message!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi Steve,

I was going to ring but wasn't sure if this could be done via the forum as I didn't want to clog up the phone lines during this chaotic time. If it's not something that can be done via the forum then let me know and I'll call up

Thanks

Steve_O1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey ajhayden93,

Let me see what I can do.

If you could send me your account number and area/site reference number by Private Message please and I will take a look.

Thanks,

Steve

I am a Virgin Media Field Technician currently working from home. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
Did you know you can get £50 off your bill for referring friends and family to Virgin Media? Want to know more? Just drop me a message!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

The hubs Wi-Fi is pretty poor.

Maybe look into a mesh system or a better standalone router 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi Steve

I have exactly the same problem - test result  for 17 devices states - 'The device ************ has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0'

The position of the hub is unchanged so suspect faulty hub - how do I get a replacement?      Last time I contacted a member of the technical team she insisted on sending me a 'high speed cat 6 ethernet cable despite me saying there wasn't a fault on the ethernet connection, the problem is the low wi-fi signal strength in the house!

Would appreciate any help you can give me.

Get your own router or mesh system and run the hub in modem mode

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Thanks Gary for your suggestion but unfortunately it seems to be your standard response to anyone with a router problem.  Your suggestion is as much use as the virgin technical person who sent a ethernet cable when the problem is with the wi-fi, doesn't resolve the problem at all.

I pay Virgin for a service and expect them to resolve the problem - it's not up to me to go and buy a router.

But you don’t pay for WiFi.

You pay for the connection to your home. 

Internal device connectivity is down to the user to fix and optimise. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Could well be interference for adjacent WiFi sources. In 24 hours my monitors have shown over 90 SSIDs transmitting in my area and over 30 currently active.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2