Menu
Highlighted
mhimsical
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Lost internet - VM says it's me, it's not!

I lost internet about 30 minutes ago. Service status says there's no known problem. I ran the hub test and it says my equipment isn't switched on. It absolutely is. I've reset it, several times, switched my laptop off and on. Can't get it on any devices. It says it's connected but with limited access. 

Can anyone help / advise, please? There are lights flashing on the hub, not sure if they indicate a problem.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost internet - VM says it's me, it's not!

how is your laptop connected? wifi or ethernet?
you need to test using ethernet only.

however if the lights are flashing then something is amiss.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Call it in as a fault - they will test your connection first.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mhimsical
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Will do, thanks - there's an electricity outage here, it turns out. Lots of us have electricity but no Virgin Media. It's just that VM don't seem to have registered it! 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The VM status page will only report error when 1000’s of users are affected. A local power outage affecting some VM cabinets and perhaps a couple of hundred users will NOT be reported. The rather silly VM status message saying your hub is not powered on.really means that your hub cannot see the VM CMTS equipment at the local VM site, no more than that. Therefor there is either a viable break of broken equipment between your hub and the VM CMTS.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
mhimsical
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's helpful to know, thank you.  When I called they confirmed there was a problem, and shortly afterwards the service status did update as faulty...there were certainly 100s of houses affected, but not sure about 1000s!  Thanks for the info re the hub messages; if only they displayed a more helpful message to enable customers to understand better...but perhaps that's asking for too much common sense.  😉 

0 Kudos