cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost MDD Timeout

jamesfawcett
Tuning in

Hello, I just signed up because getting nowhere with the Virgin Media support over telephone, I've had a very poor broadband connection now for 4 days and its making working from home impossible. 

When I talk to support, the agents seem undecided whether there is a problem, or isn't. I've been told engineers are working on an issue in the area, but then other times I've been told there isn't a problem and to check back in a few hours. Really frustrating now knowing what's going on.

In the router logs there is a repeating error of Lost MDD Timeout:
https://imgur.com/4J3YI91

On the Downstream there are a high number of Post RS Errors on channel 12:
https://imgur.com/S8jf7YW

Yesterday, Sunday, all was working well again in the afternoon, we were up to 35mb download speeds (It's usually 100mb+) but at least the broadband was usable. Today, there's either no signal, or up to 0.76mb download speed, is unusable for remote desktop. 

I've checked all connections to the router in the house, and to the Virgin Media feed outside, I've unscrewed and screwed the connections back in, they all look good.

Desperately need help, my partner is heavily pregnant so we are shielding and need to be able to work from home.

Thanks
James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

I’m slightly surprised that you get any sort of connection at all anytime with power levels like those in your screen shots! As you have discovered, VM’s offshore customer service (and I use the term in it’s loosest possible sense) staff have a habit of making the Chuckle Brothers look like a test case in corporate efficiency and knowledge.

You have a cabling issue, probably a bad joint somewhere and absolutely need an engineer visit to find and fix it. I’ve escalated this thread for the forum staff who should (probably tomorrow now) contact you directly and sort something out.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jem101
Superstar

I’m slightly surprised that you get any sort of connection at all anytime with power levels like those in your screen shots! As you have discovered, VM’s offshore customer service (and I use the term in it’s loosest possible sense) staff have a habit of making the Chuckle Brothers look like a test case in corporate efficiency and knowledge.

You have a cabling issue, probably a bad joint somewhere and absolutely need an engineer visit to find and fix it. I’ve escalated this thread for the forum staff who should (probably tomorrow now) contact you directly and sort something out.

Hi Jem101,

Thank you for your help and taking my issue seriously too, I really appreciate it.

Out of interest, do you know the rules on cancelling a cancelation, if this can be resolved?
I went through to the retention team and cancelled my VM contract and I've arranged for another provider to be installed in two weeks. If this can be resolved though I'm happy to keep my Virgin connection now I know these forums exist, I just found it really frustrating with the call centres and endless loop on the help website.

Ps for my the forum staff my home post code is BD16 4RJ and my username is my full name 😉

Thanks
James

Hi jamesfawcett,

Welcome to our community forums and thanks for posting. Really sorry to hear that you decided to cancel due to the ongoing issues with your internet services from us. 

Can we ask when you placed your cancellation with us? Looking for your account with the postcode provided this is now a former account. 

If your account has already been cancelled we will need to get a reconnection order form filled in for you.

I will pop you over a private message to take some details and go through security with you, click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi jamesfawcett,

Just a quick note to advised we have now cancelled your cancelation order as requested. We have also booked a faults engineer to attend to come and take a look at what is happening with the power levels.

If you need to re-schedule this appointment you can do so here.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Great many thanks jamesfawcett.

Hopefully our engineer will be able to get to the bottom of this issue and we can get this resolved for you once and for all.

Please keep us posted with how the visit goes. If you need any further help in the future, please come back to us through this channel.

Have a lovely evening.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thanks to you both for your help, engineer coming out Wednesday morning! 🙂

jamesfawcett
Tuning in

Hello, sorry to post again, things are worse now. We now have no connection at all.

The engineer has been out but he's had difficulties, he's been trying to fix it for over two hours.

We don't even have the 0.76mb download speed we had before, so there's two of us now that can't work from home. He said he's had to request for a cable under the street to be replaced, but it wont be this week.

Is there anything Virgin Media can do to get us back online? Desperate now, we need to be able to work from home and I cancelled the Plusnet install for next week and cancelled the virgin cancellation. I'm thinking now that wasn't the best plan.

Desperately need help here! 😞

So sorry to hear this jamesfawcett.

This is not what we wanted to happen at all. I will send an email the area field manager for you now, and see if there is anything else they can do to get you back up and running.

I will pass this on to a colleague to chase for you as I am now off on holiday until the 2nd of August.

As soon as we have a response we will post back, we will also update your account notes and include the email sent.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi & team, 

Thanks for everything you have done, we are back online and my faith in VM is restored 🙂 

The engineers replaced all the cabling today. It must have been faulty for a while, the TV is playing much clearer without transcoding, movies load instantly and its noticeably quick loading web pages too, but most importantly of all, we can now do our work and not get fired! 🙂

Thanks for all your help,
James