cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 2g and 5G WiFi connections

Robhines
Joining in

I’ve been having issues with my hub 3 where it just keeps loosing internet connection.  I have 500mb speed and even when connected via the speed drops regularly or loosing connection altogether.

I must admit we are heavy users, especially over the pandemic!

ive now tried the factory reset twice, turned the hub off and now I have lost the 2g and 5G WiFi networks.  I’ve logged on to the hub and there are ticked, but not showing.

any ideas? 

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok follow this protocol.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

All set up now, thanks for your help John.

everything seems stable at the moment. Although still awaiting for forum rep to get in touch!

if not I’ll call if the internet goes down again.

thanks guys! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Robhines,

Welcome back to our Community Forums. Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to understand that you're experiencing some ongoing connection issues.

I'm glad to see that @lotharmat and @jbrennand where able to help you run further diagnostics on this issue. 

Luckily, I was able to locate your account from the details you provided on your Forum and I can see that there is an ongoing area outage that has been raised in your locality.

This outage could have been raised due to the issues you have been experiencing over the last few days and is being looked into by our engineers. This outage is expected to run until 08/07/21 at 3pm.

I have raised a work order on your account, so we know that you're currently impacted. Please reboot your equipment after 3pm, and monitor your connection over the next 24 hours.

Please keep us updated on this further, we're more than happy to help.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs