cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of internet/very poor customer service

Cfrancis
Tuning in

Problems started in mid January when I was having intermittent Internet connection. 

Engineer came out on 26th January and tried to fix the cable and made it worse, causing complete loss of internet. I have been without the Internet since then.

Virgin arranged for technicians to come out on 10th February, which isn't great as I work from home, so I put in a complaint to resolution team and waited. 

On 8th February I got an email saying the resolution team tried to contact me, which is not true as I received no call text or email and neither did my wife, who they have contact details for. They then put a link in the email for me to claim compensation, even though a customer rep said it will be automatically applied, when I called them on the 26th. I clicked the link and it said that page can't be found. I replied to inform the resolution team of this and then got on the phone again to confirm with a rep that compensation will be applied automatically which they said yes it will. I have yet to hear back from the resolution team. 

Yesterday when the technicians were meant to come between 8am and 1pm, no one did and no one contacted me in any manner to update me. I phoned a rep again who cut me off. Phoned Again and a rep said someone will update me and they will be coming later that day as the previous job was taking longer.

I waited until 16:45 and phoned again as I needed to leave and pick up my child. The rep said I didn't need to be home when the work is being done, which is the 1st time I was told this! He also said they would be round before 6pm. I went out came back at 7pm and my Internet was still not working. I phoned another rep who couldn't tell me if engineers had actually been out to my address. She then gave a recall date of 23rd March, which is completely unacceptable. She also said the fix would take 2 people to complete, which virgin should know anyway and book accordingly. She then gave me a number of 02037065275 to call, which I called and is no longer in use and when I tried to phone back they office had closed. Showing she just wanted to get off the call and go home.

I phoned early this morning to get some answers and the rep said they would get a manager to call me back with some answers on why no one had updated me from virgin about anything and when the work is getting done. She said the manager would phone between 11 and 4.

15 mins later engineers turned up at my door to do the work. No one contacted me about them coming. Unfortunately because of the weather they couldn't do the work as the access they needed was frozen and they have to leave it to defrost and better weather then return but didn't give me a date when that would be as their contracted out be virgin. 

At 4:30 I. Rang back AGAIN and the rep saw my account was updated with a note saying a manager should ring me back. They tried to pass me to the field team to see what was happening and then cut me off AGAIN. I phoned back and the next rep passed me through to the construction team, who's office is closed at the moment so the automated service told me to ring back and hung up. 

So as I write this I'm on hold again trying to talk to someone who knows what's going on. I have spent hours on the phone waiting and explaining my situation multiple times. I trust no one to contact me from any team, especially the resolution team or a manager. 

For a communication company, no department actually seems to communicate with each other or their customers. I've never received a call text or email, it's always me contacting virgin. Virgin are happy to pass me links that don't work and numbers no longer in use. 

I've had enough of apologies, I want an actual person to update me who knows what's happening but I've given up on that happening as promises of contact never happen.

Even if I'm compensated the £8 a day for the loss of internet, it won't be enough to satisfy my displeasure at virgin

77 REPLIES 77

Yes, I am going to have a look into that for sure. I have 2 x Desktops (New HP i7 Pavillion) & a 10 year old Medion Akoya Phenom and they are connected to Ethernet direct to the VM 3 Superhub. I also have a HP Laptop (used very occasionally)and when used connected to either Ethernet or Wi-Fi. ALL have the Maximum RAM installed. The old trusty Medion mentioned has a Samsung SSD 550 installed alongside the original 1TB Hard Disk and is equally as fast as the i7 anytime.
When VM is not playing up I get around 550 Down & 27 Up on both the Desktops. But the poor old HP Desktops Ethernet Card only goes up to 100 and so I get 92 down & 37 up on that. Everything else in the place 4TV's, 3 VM Boxes, Hive equipment etc runs off the Wi-Fi or the TP RE650 Wi-Fi Range Extender nicely. So you can imagine the fun I have had over the past week since the VM Tech Help guy split the 2.4 and the 5 signals separately without informing me. Just to recap the actual Wi-Fi is running fine when I have a signal. So it is the actual Service coming into the house that has so many problems obviously made worse by the abysmal VM Help Centre people.

The Poor old Desktop mentioned was meant to be LAPTOP not Desktop, sorry. I should 'proof' the page before I send

Hope they turn up and even better sort things out. But I suspect that they may try and convince you that the fault is, or was, all down to a problem with your own equipment, don't believe them if they do. (Sorry I even know myself that I have got so very Grumpy now about all this)
They are due here on Tuesday 16th so I too am greatly concerned they wont bother. Anyway please drop us all a quick note if you can to tell us how you got on.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
So if I have got this correct.... can it be summed up as.... all devices connected on ethernet cables are fine and remain connected ok when wifi connected ones are dropping out.

Correct or not?

If not, what do the various lights on the Hub do/show when the drops happen? The BQM will be helpful if this is the case.

If it is correct, then the fix is quite simple, ditch the Hub's wifi and get your own better quality wireless equipment, I did that 20 years ago and have never looked back

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi 'Jbrennard' All the Wi-Fi system runs fine until the VM starts playing up. Even then it still hangs on until the VM feed eventually drops out altogether, then we loose everything including the phone. As I state the whole system runs fine for a few weeks then suddenly the Download speeds start to slowly drop, then the TV occasionally begins pixelating slightly. Then the speeds begin to drop slower and slower over the next 5 to 7 days and eventually the lot goes except the TV. Even the VOIP phone supply goes off some times. My PC's are connected via the Ethernet Cables direct into the Hub 3 Router. We do have about 8 other items around the place that uses the Wi-Fi signal, but we do not play Games and the like so its surely not that taxing for the 500 Download Service!

Today I am getting between 180 & 250 maximum, the Upload always seems to maintain around 35/37. But worthy of note is that usually after midnight the speeds usually recover back to as they should be 550/37 and hold usually until about 3pm. Then they start falling and get slower and slower whereby it takes as long to get to my Homepage as it did when we were on 54mbits copper wire.

When the system is working as it should, its absolutely fine. But there are by far too many speed drops, drop outs and other faults occurring regularly generally around every 4 to 6 weeks. Its just not viable enough when paying over £100 per month for it. Its not that we play Games and things but whenever we try other things on the TV like Catch Up or to watch a film or Netflix or programmes from the Archive Libraries etc it sometimes begins freezing, stopping & starting. As such we now very rarely bother trying to them. Our TV's are quite the latest 'Smart' ones by the way.

We have decided to sit this out until January and Cancel it all, the letter to VM is already typed and ready to post but I think I would be wise to heed the advice given and wait to post it so that VM receives it at least 30 days before the current contract ends. My goodness I have just realised what a wonderful Christmas & New Year present it will be for us.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Cfrancis 

A very warm welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am really sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your broadband services. 

I have just taken a quick peek at your account and I can see that the engineer is still booked for today, Do you know the time or would you like for me to clarify that for you

Hopefully it wont be an issues, but if the engineer isn't able to get this resolved today then please do let us know and we will do all we can to assist you further. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Apparently they're coming between 4-7 today but I will be in contact if they don't. The issue 8s whether your team get back to me, as you see from my post and my account the multiple attempts I've made to get a response. 

Good morning and thank you so much for taking an interest and posting. I received a text the same day (at 19:49 hrs) that they gave me todays appointment informing me that todays appointment was cancelled and has been put back to the original date & time of Tuesday 16th February! So I really do not know to be perfectly honest. So any confirmation would be greatly appreciated as I am sure you will agree

Sorry just realised that this message was for cfrancis

Sorry I have just realised that you were corresponding with cfrancis

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Barzey 

Welcome back to the forum and thank you once again for your post. 

We are sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your broadband connection. 

I have taken a quick look into the account and it dose seem as though there is a utilisation issues in the area, this would explain why the speeds increase the later in the evening. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M