cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Broadband

GeoffTownley
On our wavelength

I've not had broadband service for 5 days, virgin seem incapable of fixing it, I think the modem has died, they won't send a new one, just an engineer next week.

This is the worst service that I've ever had, I'm now going to get a EE 5g modem, it's cheaper broadband and much faster. 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

31 REPLIES 31

I can get Gig1 from the coaxial cable coming into my house, so a maximum of 940Mbps from a hub 4 and over 1Gbps should I get a hub 5. Both these speeds are well in excess of what the mobile operators typically deliver over 5G. Furthermore these speeds are delivered consistently regardless of where you live whereas 5G is variable according to Vodafone: "5G speeds can vary, and depend on multiple factors, such as how far away you are from a mast, which spectrum is being used, and how many people around you are using 5G".

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Where I live 5g has greater capability than 1gb and its going to be easier to provide high speed to more areas without out expensive infrastructure.  My network is just as robust as virgin and virgin cable is not widely available in the UK.

Not many people need 1gb, it's a waste of money for domestic use,

GeoffTownley
On our wavelength

One problem that I've encountered when reporting and chasing for information regarding faults,  is the difficulty in conversing with Indian call centre staff, I don't understand their accents and they don't understand mine.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cheap labour 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
what faults are you having?

known faults will be reported on the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I've had no broadband since Tuesday and no phone since thursday, reported daily to VM.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is it being reported on the 0800 number? If so, there is an option to start the "Compensation Timer" with a button press.

What Hub model do you have and what are its lights showing/doing ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your interest, but it's in the hands of VM, I have lodged a complaint and I'm now investigating the use of  a TP-Link sim card 4g modem/router with EE.

Hi GeoffTownley

Welcome back to the community. 

Sorry to hear you have an ongoing broadband issue. I can see you mention you have an engineer visit booked already. Keep us updated with how you get on and what was advised. Let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

HI GeoffTownley, thanks for the message. I have checked the system and can see that you have an engineer booked, please let us know how it goes? ^Chris