Menu
jb527
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Losing connection during the evenings - area 22

I'm a Virgin BB customer with a SuperHub 3.0 in Stratford, East London (Area 22). For the past few days, I lose access to the internet for the whole evening. Things start to wobble about 6pm and then I can't reconnect until the next morning.

Attempting to connect brings me up a diagnostics page on 192.168.0.1, which doesn't function properly: it seems to get to 3% and then refreshes the page.

Using the Virgin online diagnostics (via my 3G connected phone) gets me the suggestion that my equipment might be turned off. But it isn't, and the coaxial cable is very snugly connected to.

I've had this box for well over six months without any problems, so I'm at a loss as to what could be going wrong on my side - and only at night. The router isn't running that hot either.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Losing connection during the evenings - area 22

Go to thinkbroadband.com and set up a BQM monitor. It will record VM's connection to your Hub over a period and show any dropouts. You can post a link on here for comments.

For any tests from your side, use a wired connection to the hub rather than WiFi..

0 Kudos
jb527
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tests from my side have all been done over ethernet - but the problem remains. The diagnostics page refreshes itself only a few seconds into the process.

In any case: what is causing these dropouts in the evening? They don't come at a regular time but do seem to occur in the evenings (i.e. peak usage time).

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What you are describing sounds like the local VM network is oversubscribed, causing contention issues at peak demand times. 

The BQM will establish whether this is the case.  

0 Kudos
jb527
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Indeed it looks like it: BQM reports total packet loss after about 7.45pm.

0 Kudos
jb527
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@John_G I saw your DM, however I am unable to reply via the forum software. It claims you have DMs blocked.

0 Kudos