cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing connection every two days

MarkCCH
Tuning in

Hi. 

I recently had VM installed, Hitron Chita Router, but every 48 hours or so I need to restart the router to get internet back. 

I've had an engineer out who replaced the router but the issue persists. The engineer suggested that should it continue it could be an issue with one of the wired connections causing "back feed" or something to the router, is this a thing? 

I have two wired connections; a desktop pc (via a hub) and a TV. The TV has a green flashing light on the Ethernet where the PC is orange. 

On the original router, the issue would occur where phones would be connected but without internet, PC (wired) had no connection but Alex still worked. 

The replacement loses all connection with the phone switching to data. 

I'm a bit lost, any help appreciated. 

15 REPLIES 15

Try a DNS test. 

On a PC, 

Open the control panel

Network and internet

On the right-hand side click on Ethernet

Properties

Select "Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click properties. 

At this point, it will likely be on automatic. Leave the top one alone, ie automatic IP and put the DNS on manual. 

At this point I can't help much more. You need to make sure it is connected to a different DNS to the router (you can find that in the router settings). FYI, mine is on automatic, but selecting manual it is on 8.8.8.8 so I assume that is default. 

Change your pc to 

1.1.1.2 - preferred and, 1.0.0.2 secondary. There are others, google is 1.1.1.1 for example but those help with blocking malware (I think). I'm sure you can google it and check for yourself though, like I say, I'm no expert so this is at your risk. 

OK/apply and try that. 

If it works, ie nothing but the PC you have changed works, it suggests it an issue with the VM DNS. 

Thanks will give this a try. 
I just spoke to the faults team who ran a test and informed me the router is offline (obviously that’s why I’m calling!)

she said she’s going to get the diagnostics team to check it as it may be a loose cable on my end. Note that the router has all new connections right from the front of my property. Just now it switched back on itself and is working again. I didn’t unplug anything. It’s obviously a fault with virgin media but they don’t want to admit it. 

And it's off again. Been on the phone to VM for about 2 hours. Engineer needed. Probably a new router. Clearly not the issue. 

These routers are meant to connect to 4G when they fail. No idea why it doesn't do that. 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey MarkCCH, thanks for your posts and replies on our forum.

Sorry to see this issue was still ongoing for you recently, have you managed to get things sorted since your last post here?

please visit our VM business page where you can speak to the business faults staff over live chat too, in case you still need help.
Apologies as we can only support residential accounts from this end, let us know how you get on.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi.

I appreciate you can't help on this forum but I still think it's useful to keep it up. 

Not sure if it's fixed or not. New router was installed yesterday but the engineer confirmed the router isn't very good and it's a case of keep replacing until you get one that works. 

I'm on my third, so fingers crossed

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MarckCCH,

We completely agree with being open and honest with situations such as yours, and we wouldn't remove a post just because it is for Virgin Media Business - as there may be others in the same position as you.

In regards to the 4G Backup you have mentioned, this would only activate in the event of a full loss of service on the Hub itself, from a Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection. If this was happening, and the 4G Backup wasn't activating, I'd recommend getting in touch with the Business Faults Team to look into getting a replacement backup out. 

We hope the new replacement router works out well for you. Alternatively, if you're still facing some issues, just get back in touch with Business Faults and they'll be able to assist you in getting things sorted.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ