cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing connection every two days

MarkCCH
Tuning in

Hi. 

I recently had VM installed, Hitron Chita Router, but every 48 hours or so I need to restart the router to get internet back. 

I've had an engineer out who replaced the router but the issue persists. The engineer suggested that should it continue it could be an issue with one of the wired connections causing "back feed" or something to the router, is this a thing? 

I have two wired connections; a desktop pc (via a hub) and a TV. The TV has a green flashing light on the Ethernet where the PC is orange. 

On the original router, the issue would occur where phones would be connected but without internet, PC (wired) had no connection but Alex still worked. 

The replacement loses all connection with the phone switching to data. 

I'm a bit lost, any help appreciated. 

15 REPLIES 15

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

You say you have the Hitron Router by any chance are you a Virginmedia Business Customer if so then I am afraid that this forum is for residental customers and we would be unable to help with a business connection you will need to contact Business Support at https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/

Here we can only give advice, what I would be in situations like this is try and rule out which device is causing the issue by disconnecting the Ethernet cables one at a time, if you do find one that is faulty replace that one, yeah one of the devices could be causing the router to drop out, most likely I would say a faulty cable.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MarkCCH

Sorry to hear of the broadband connection issues experienced, as DJ_Shadow1966 has advised, if this is a business account you would need to contact the Virgin Media Business team directly on 0800 052 0800 for further assistance as we only have access to residential accounts here.

Rob

Thanks. I have already tried contacting support, but I thought I'd get better advice from people on the forum. 

The issue appears to be fixed now, it wasn't the cable (forcing the pc to connect to a different DNS that the router meant the pc working when WiFi didn't), it looks like it is the router being unable to connect to DNS selected on the router. 

Hi

i am having the same issues. I have to reboot mine every 12-18 hours roughly. They have come out 5 times. They replaced the router less than an hour ago today and I am having even worse issues now! 
what did you do to fix this? 

I haven't fixed it, but it's almost certainly a DNS issue, but my knowledge is lacking. Sadly, VM will send a tech round who knows the equipment but not the IT stuff. 

If you force a pc to connect to a different DNS then when you lose wireless, your pc will work. Return it back so both are using the same DNS it will fail again. 

I am currently going to disconnect the TV (ethernet) to rule that out then go from there. 

I'll report back (probably Thursday when it dies again), but a router that works is likely the solution. 

I had a new router again this morning. this time the internet actually stays on. It cut out around an hour ago and a switch off and on got it up and running again. the engineers cannot find the fault which is strange.

do you have any issues when you have the ethernet plugged in? have you tried changing the ethernet cable? how many wired devices do you have connected? the engineer mentioned that it may be due to a dodgy ethernet cable or dodgy network switch. let me know as Virgin Media dont know what is wrong and we just need to do some trial and error.

Sacchinn. 

I am currently trying to diagnose the situation so working through things. 

I have a TV and PC connected via ethernet. I set the pc to Wireless and removed the cable. This did not fix the issue. 

I currently have the TV on wireless and PC on Ethernet. Currently, it's working, maybe for the longest it's been working. 

Trying different cables is difficult, one runs up the outside of the house to the office, the other through a wall etc. 

I'm confident the issue isn't the PC cable, since it is connected at 1000/1000 MBs suggesting the cable is fine, less certain about the TV cable as I can't as easily check that one, although I could plug the laptop in which I may have a go at if it drops again. Currently, it's working so just going to leave it for another day or two. 

VM told me it could be a cable, which at first I didn't believe, but I'm not sure. I'm still thinking it's DNS related, but since it working now for more that 48hrs with the TV on wireless it could be that. 

I'm no expert, luckily I have a man who knows a lot about these things so I'm sorry I can't be overly helpful. 

My suggestion is to remove ethernet connections 1 by 1 and see what happens. You can buy a wireless dongle to keep pcs connected etc. 

Just to add. Still working here. Could easily have been the TV ethernet. I will plug it in again later as a test. 

Thanks for the update. I disconnected all Ethernet cables and still had the issue. Now I have a complete loss of service. The fix is still a reboot of the router however this isn’t a solution. 

it’s strange how the telephone line is working (it’s connected to the router) and my VoIP phone is also working. However my other devices (laptops, PCs, Tablets, phones etc) are all offline and not working. It doesn’t make sense to me!!!!!