cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longer broadband cable

r_c
Joining in

For some reason the engineer who installed our hub did so with a 25cm long cable which means our hub has sat on the floor for the best part of the last year or so. We are having issues connecting in one of our upstairs rooms (means can't watch netflix etc on tv, can't join conference calls) and it's become unmanageable as that's ideally the best room for me to work in as I work from home. We live in a really small terraced 70s house so we're not dealing with loads of space and thick walls....

My parents are on virgin and have a significantly larger house and you can get wifi well at the back of the garden! So I'm pretty sure it's the fact it's on the floor behind furniture that is causing the issues.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to where/which wire to get - or whether I need an engineer to come and fix with a longer, more sensible wire (and how the hell you even get an engineer to come out without having to call an expensive number?)

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to be clear do you want to move the Hub with a longer co-ax cable?  VM usuaklly supply a 1m or 3m cable foe this - or with a Tech install they will just make up a new cable of the length you want.

So 25cm is useless.  Call it in and ask for a 1m or 3m cable.  They may not do that without you paying for a moving (£25) of the Hub - but argue the toss with them as that one you have is still way too short.  But... dont be tempted to get 3d party cable from Amazon - it is cheap tat and will cause problems

That said... moving the Hub up to a shelf or wherever may not give the improvement in wifi upstairs.  To guarantee that you should run some Cat6a ethernet cable upstairs an plug onto it a Wireless Access Point - that should sort it forever

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @r_c 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear of the cabling issue, I'll send you a PM now to sort this out.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill